Maine Guide

Floor Jacks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey all. I want to get a pair of floor jacks. My 2002 Toyota Tundra is high enough that I never have to raise to do oil changes or other work, but I do want a pair to get the tires off the ground enough to do my own rotations on this and my wife's Volvo XC 60.   

Anyone have any recommendations on on a model?

also, thinking of tire rotations, I've seen cordless impact drivers used to loosen/tighten the lug nuts. Anyone have a model they recommend?

thanks all!

Check out Nothern Tool//Harbor Feight//Tractor Supply,buy a 4 way Lug wrench then you know you can get the lugs off and on what you going to carry Impact Driver with you most people i know ( which is Damm Few) have a 4 way Lug Wrench in trunk (Where is key for locking lug )

20 minutes ago, Al Sears said:

Check out Nothern Tool//Harbor Feight//Tractor Supply,buy a 4 way Lug wrench then you know you can get the lugs off and on what you going to carry Impact Driver with you most people i know ( which is Damm Few) have a 4 way Lug Wrench in trunk (Where is key for locking lug )

Always sage advice from you Al!  Yes, I do have the four way. I'll stick to that. 

I got one at homies years ago that has an insert/extension that adds about 4 inches to the lift capacity. 3.5 ton cap. Enough to lift a 1 ton diesel front end up. 

Oops, sorry, you said floor jacks and it looks like what you want is jack stands. 

The ones I have have a quick release handle, just pop the handle UP and the stand drops. Can't pop it with a load. Pretty handy.

Rotate tires with one jack stand, one floor jack. One side at a time.

I got the harbor freight 3 ton jack (item 68048) last year and have had no issues so far. I actually use it more than I thought I would

With the coupon on their site it can be picked up for $75. Don't forget the jack stands with it!

Look carefully at where you'll use it and the clearances associated, my inexpensive big jack has had trouble fitting under cars before due to air dams, etc.

Your not gonna go wrong with a craftsman jack. Get a low profile one.  As far a an impact gun unless you have a compressor get a corded craftsman gun. Also it's nice to have the torque sockets. Many a repair shop will monkey on lug nuts using a regular socket and a air gun that puts out 800 ft lbs torque. Most electric guns do half that and you stand zero chance with a 4 way. Get a half inch breaker bar ( not harbor freight. The knuckles break. I like the sk one but craftsman will do. )with a few regular impact sockets and a 4 ft piece of galvanized pipe. I had a ingresoll rand electric gun that was probably 50 years old. Its heavy but always did the job. You can probably get one on the auction site cheap. When it finally gave up the ghost, cord shorted frying the tool, I got a Makita which was good but nowhere near the ir.

I also use the harbor freight 3 ton jack (item 68048) and the 3 Ton Steel Jack Stands (Item # 61196) Catch them on sale and use the 20% coupon - its a deal.    Had to upgrade from my original craftsman 1.5 ton after buying a Chevy Suburban that it just  could not lift.

My 1/2"  impact gun is also HF (Chicago pneumatic) and I have it for over 30 years.  Just add a few drops of oil when done and it can last a long time for a backyard mechanic.  The gun has a torque setting.   I can get it close to where it should be but I always finish by  using a real torque wrench to get exactly to 95 ft-lbs.    Its  too easy to warp rotors now :-(  

v.