Birdsnester

Seagate Mag?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've searched high and low to find a mag kit for my Daiwa Seagate 30 conventional.  Can't find one anywhere.  Does it make sense to take a chance and buy a kit from a similarly sized reel like the Sealine of the same size or for an Abu 6500?  Why isn't there one for the Seagate???

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stationary mag it for a couple of bucks. You don't lower the value by drilling the side plate, and removing parts of the reel to clearance the monomag unit. Another issue with mono Mags is that they can easily be knocked out of adjustment.

On a reel with this size of spool your not going to gain any distance with an adjustable mag. Using a stationary mag and fine tuning with the spool tentioner knob and break blocks does the job better than a monomag. Set it and forget it.

There are a few tutorials on the web. Should cost you under 5$ at the local hardware store, and a little trial and error. You don't want this reel running on the ragged edge, so a little more mag control costs you a couple of yards/100 that you trade for a blowup free fishing experience.

Edited by caster1990

All of mine are N52, nickel plated, 1/8" thick.

I have diameters on hand ranging from 1/8" - 7/16" so that I can see what will work for the reel I am working on. The majority of the time a couple of 1/4" do the trick.

They are brittle so if you let them snap together or drop them they may crack. 

If you can find a thread that walks you through a process you are comfortable with doing, and use their recommendations for this reel as a starting point, it would be best. This process takes some trial and error to get your desired result.

If you are in doubt about doing this try to find someone familiar with this process in your area to help. 

11 hours ago, Catch This said:

The Seagate internals are very similar to the sealine and saltist, same goes for size of the reels and line capacity.

Aaah there is a lot of info on Sealine's. Maybe I can use those videos as a guide.  Thanks...

Use the Sealine or SLSH videos.  But I have to ask, why mag it at all? If the reel  is too fast, try slowing it down with a heavier oil on the bearings.

10 hours ago, Catch This said:

Use the Sealine or SLSH videos.  But I have to ask, why mag it at all? If the reel  is too fast, try slowing it down with a heavier oil on the bearings.

Well, I thought the mag would be more consistent than grease.  I have two Akios reels , one mono magged and one with 4 smaller magnets.  Both are adjustable.  I like them a lot but like my Daiwa better for large weights targeting larger fish. I seem to need some control mostly while tossing 6 or 8 oz plus bait.  So, lots of folks are magging their conventionals these days and since I like the results of the Akios I decided to give it a whirl.

4 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Well, I thought the mag would be more consistent than grease.  I have two Akios reels , one mono magged and one with 4 smaller magnets.  Both are adjustable.  I like them a lot but like my Daiwa better for large weights targeting larger fish. I seem to need some control mostly while tossing 6 or 8 oz plus bait.  So, lots of folks are magging their conventionals these days and since I like the results of the Akios I decided to give it a whirl.

You would be dead right. Grease / oil viscosity will change with temperature and age of the lubricant.

Service the reel and you would have to faff around to get the oil mix "just so" again.

Mags on don't rely on mechanical braking.

The faster the spool turn the more they work, slower spool = less braking, much easier.

11 minutes ago, ZAFisher said:

You would be dead right. Grease / oil viscosity will change with temperature and age of the lubricant.

Service the reel and you would have to faff around to get the oil mix "just so" again.

Mags on don't rely on mechanical braking.

The faster the spool turn the more they work, slower spool = less braking, much easier.

That's what I am banking on