Looking for a good rod repair place ?

vce12342000

Hi SOL,

Im looking for a good rod repair place that can replace my rod tip on a freshwater pole. Im not looking for a hack place that will use a cheap tip repair kit from Dick's. I want it to match or come close and done professionally. Im not looking for cheap. Im looking for professional results. Im in NJ and rather not ship. But if I have to I will. This is my primary fishing rod that I use to fish for wild brown trout. So I would like it back quick as possible since I dont have a spare rod to use.

Thanks again for any assistance

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

Yep. It was :(. I had bought it to a local bait shop that claimed to do rod repairs that did a half azz replacement with 1 of those replacement tip kits that you can buy at Dicks. I had gave him the old tip thinking he was going to re-use it. The broken piece was still in the barrel. But broken flush. But instead he tried to rubber cement the cheap tip on. Of course on my 1st cast the tip flew off:mad:

20 hours ago, vce12342000 said:

Yep. It was :(. I had bought it to a local bait shop that claimed to do rod repairs that did a half azz replacement with 1 of those replacement tip kits that you can buy at Dicks. I had gave him the old tip thinking he was going to re-use it. The broken piece was still in the barrel. But broken flush. But instead he tried to rubber cement the cheap tip on. Of course on my 1st cast the tip flew off:mad:

Damn.  How'd it pop?

Sad to say.  tailwalk customer service sucks ass.

Dealing with one of the executives.  My 9'6 formed a set.  He was very friendly and offered support initially...but the facebook messenger chat went dead after I obliged by sending him some images he requested. 10 more pings and no reply.  Done with that company.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

It was totally my fault. The line had got twisted on the eye when a fish spit the hook at me. Instead of untangling it by hand. I have a bad habit of smacking flush on the water and it will release 90% of the time without manually untangling it. Well. This time it didnt happen that way. Instead the rod tip broke flush. I guess the good thing about it is when the new tip is installed. I will only lose about 1/2 inch of rod material. I dropped it off to a B&T shop that sends these out to a local rod repair guy that suppose to be excellent. We shall see. The place I dropped it off to immediately said that its a micro tip and he said that he's not even going to attempt it in house. Said if he cant do it rite. He's not going to do it at all in house. He told me it will look and preform like new. 

I was reading about how you had the problem with the rod set before. And the bad customer service is definitely a detractor. Its a shame. This rod has preformed flawless for me. I think my next tall rod will be a Steez. Im reading you have zero issue's and preforms excellent. Its good that someone can give us a report on it before putting out some serious cash for it and then finding out its not what its cracked out to be. I was also looking glx rods also. But well see after I get my tailwalk back how she preforms

On 7/23/2017 at 11:30 PM, vce12342000 said:

VCE, I'll offer to buy your broken rod for a nominal price.   $50 seems fair for a rod thats broken.    ;-)

Wrap tip i painters tape cut off 1/8" or until no splintering or chips remain, measure the top with calipers, order the replacement tip from a rodbuilding store. Get some arrow fletching cement, lighter, and pair of needle nose pliers. SHave off the cement and pack the tip top tube until its full, pick up with needle nose pliers, heat top until cement is liquid, put on the rod and turn 360 degrees a couple of times and then line it up in place, use a damp cloth with cold water to cool it and your done. you can get micros down to 3.5 -4.0 tube sizes and 4-5 rings fairly easy.

DG