Canal guides legal?

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, PlumFishing said:

Does guide work pay well? 

Seems like hiring a hooker to me. 

Are you considering the life of a working girl?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

"PM'ing" you?

What on earth are you talking about?

I doubt that I've ever PM'd you, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

Is it my imagination, or has the whole canal fishing experience become centered around making a fast buck, legally or otherwise?

Guys poaching bass on closed commercial days, poaching bass to be sold on the grey market, illegal guiding on federal land, promoting their lures,  etc. Doesn't anyone go fishing for fun anymore, or is it all about how can I profit from these fish?

Rob is correct, backin the 90s you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a 'canal guide'.  They were everywhere. They were responsible for hundreds of thosands of missing herring from our local runs. They were also responsible fr much of the restricted parking along the canal. I hate to see us return to those days.

Al Canal and Rent-a-Roy. :)

I haven't heard much lately about how Roy is doing. While I didn't like the guiding and its effects, I still wish him well. :th:

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Yes. He had a stroke several years ago and had to stop making rods. His son tried keeping things going for awhile. 

His big problem in the business was accepting more work than he and his son could handle. :( 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

No one can guide on the Cape Cod Canal it is a federal regulation period. For any environmental police office to allow him self as a person advertising such service can also be construed as a violation of ethical behavior on behalf of the epo, from my understanding by the Department of Environmental police. That advertising should be removed showing that he might be in complicate in a crime as I understand it.

Gray gables yes Roy also did make custom rods, but in many cases he himself did not make the rods, I know of at least 5 other builders that worked for him building the rods he put his name on, including his two sons whom were in many cases far better rod builders then he was. The decorative artistic wrapping in many cases was done by one person who also did the same for other shops in the area as well. John T passed a few years ago and even though he was confined to a wheel chair was also a great fisherman  

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

7 hours ago, SkunkLuvver said:

Ah, the old zinger spin move.. also well played.

I've been zung!!!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

2 hours ago, gray gables said:

Roy who used to make custom rods? 

One of the many things I recall about Roy at his Four Corners location, was the professionally made contraption that he and his workers used to find the spine on the rods they were about to wrap.

I don't know if Carl recalled seeing it when he worked at the store, but to me, it was a fascinating piece of craftsmanship.  It looked like a miniature howitzer......the heavy, dark varnish wood base was about 12" long, 6" high.  Sticking out of this base was a 9-10" highly polished brass "barrel" pointed upward at a 45 degree angle.  This barrel sported ball bearings at it's base and rotated, so that when the rod butt was inserted into the opening at the top of the barrel, and downward pressure was exerted near the top of the rod, the rod would "flip" pinpointing the spine. 

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

Is it my imagination, or has the whole canal fishing experience become centered around making a fast buck, legally or otherwise?

Guys poaching bass on closed commercial days, poaching bass to be sold on the grey market, illegal guiding on federal land, promoting their lures,  etc. Doesn't anyone go fishing for fun anymore, or is it all about how can I profit from these fish?

Rob is correct, backin the 90s you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a 'canal guide'.  They were everywhere. They were responsible for hundreds of thosands of missing herring from our local runs. They were also responsible fr much of the restricted parking along the canal. I hate to see us return to those days.

As you know back in another time Roy operated and ran the most efficient poaching of not only herring , but pogies as well. Let along his high class Boston clients that paid huge money to his crews put them on Stripers to illegally guide them on the Canal. He had a way of making every thing look so up and up and he had a crew from Marine Fisheries and Environmental Police as well as many of the local police on his gifted list for looking the other way as far as he was concerned. He was so good as you recall that Bourne Used his live wells inside of his trucks to transport the herring one year from the upper reaches of the Bourne Run to bring them down to the beginning of the run so that the town could give them out as you waited to get herring. A great majority of those herring he wound up selling himself along the canal as he also did with pogies when he could.This was illegal as well, but a new rod here and there would often be the payoff for those that enforced the laws to look the other way . Roy's crews single handily managed to rape every run here on the cape and a few off cape as well. I have a great deal more insite to his downfall and I will only say it did not occur  as a result of any heart attack he may have suffered. His guides would often come in the shop with a customer they had guided on the canal to have pictures taken of the days events. I do not recall the size of the fish that was legal, that made no difference it was a striper . I finally told The guides and Roy to never bring another short fish to the shop to have me take a picture of it . It became one of the many reasons I decided after working for him in the shop for a year or so to go elsewhere and work. The stories of those times are well etched in my mind and how any one could find endearing words for a poacher bar non,  let alone drug handler, with criminal associations is beyond my comprehension. . Roy was great at talking and if you believed him you were hooked. I know first hand as one who believed what he told every one on how he followed the laws , until I saw other wise.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal