gray gables

Canal guides legal?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saw a guide advertising that they guide at the Ditch. Looked at it today shows the guy with a good bass posing next to an EPO.  Is this a legal service? I thought guiding on the canal was illegal? 

Edited by TimS
Rephrased your opening sentence - we don't promote FB pages/groups here, even unintentionally :-)

Nope you can't, and I actually asked the army corps a while ago because I was curious 

Edited by scott7980

Hmmmmm............

Edited by TimS
Please don't post images that promote FB pages or groups - thanks

15 hours ago, bdowning said:

Someone should tell the epo standing next to him, lol.

-bd

Want to be number two ? :laugh:

Edited by TimS
Removed image promoting the business

3 minutes ago, Matt A. Poisett said:

Not the EPO'S issue I believe. I know both. Maybe an ACOE though as Bob G said. 

EPO's love to brag that they are cross sworn to uphold federal law so yeah technically it is an EPO issue...........But whats the angler doing other than having his pic taken?........ Not to bust balls but I would hate to see the ditch return to the late 90's when every other guy was a guide........I wonder if there is another 13 plus miles of shoreline in the entire USA that gets fished as hard as the canal???? If there is I would sure like to know about it............

Is it my imagination, or has the whole canal fishing experience become centered around making a fast buck, legally or otherwise?

Guys poaching bass on closed commercial days, poaching bass to be sold on the grey market, illegal guiding on federal land, promoting their lures,  etc. Doesn't anyone go fishing for fun anymore, or is it all about how can I profit from these fish?

Rob is correct, backin the 90s you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a 'canal guide'.  They were everywhere. They were responsible for hundreds of thosands of missing herring from our local runs. They were also responsible fr much of the restricted parking along the canal. I hate to see us return to those days.

17 minutes ago, bob_G said:

Is it my imagination, or has the whole canal fishing experience become centered around making a fast buck, legally or otherwise?

Guys poaching bass on closed commercial days, poaching bass to be sold on the grey market, illegal guiding on federal land, promoting their lures,  etc. Doesn't anyone go fishing for fun anymore, or is it all about how can I profit from these fish?

Rob is correct, backin the 90s you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a 'canal guide'.  They were everywhere. They were responsible for hundreds of thosands of missing herring from our local runs. They were also responsible fr much of the restricted parking along the canal. I hate to see us return to those days.

Wow! You hit the nail squarely on the head......

The commercialization of the ditch is amazing........

Comm. fishing, grey and black market poaching, The selling of lures, rods, reels etc and anglers/Manufacturers looking to make a name for themselves and/or their websites/FB pages.......

I honestly wonder if anyone fishes the canal for fun anymore or they are just doing it on the hopes of seeing themselves on some social media feed..........

Look I got a bass! quick!! post it on FB!!!................... :thdwn:

15 hours ago, robc22 said:

Hmmmmm............

I asked him about this on this exact photo. He erased my comment. 

Edited by TimS
Promotional image removed

Just now, bob_G said:

I doubt the EPO realizes this guy is a guide and is going to use this photo as an attempt to bring credibility to his service.

:th: