Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

Frozen AC

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

The AC was blowing cold air this morning. We've been running it full speed for the last 2 weeks. I found ice building up at the base where the lines come out, see pic.

I'm going to let it thaw today and restart in the morning. Any thoughts before I call a guy?   Causes? Reapairs? How to not get sold a new unit if I don't need one? 

IMG_3163.JPG

2 hours ago, SG1 said:

The AC was blowing cold air this morning. We've been running it full speed for the last 2 weeks. I found ice building up at the base where the lines come out, see pic.

I'm going to let it thaw today and restart in the morning. Any thoughts before I call a guy?   Causes? Reapairs? How to not get sold a new unit if I don't need one? 

IMG_3163.JPG

Had the same problem two weeks (ice build up)......... mine was low on refrigerant. A/C guy added refrigerant and so far so good. Make sure they sniff or put in dye to try to find a leak. My guy could not find any leaks.

Frozen coils are frequently due to dirty filters. Change the filter and run the indoor blower for 4-6 hours or until water stops draining from indoor coil.

if it happens again then call for service.

14 hours ago, ted527 said:

Frozen coils are frequently due to dirty filters. Change the filter and run the indoor blower for 4-6 hours or until water stops draining from indoor coil.

if it happens again then call for service.

Yep, I got the same advice from a neighbor.  I let the filter get away from me, and the AC's been working overtime lately.

I changed the filter, and let it thaw overnight with the blower on. Seems to be working fine now. 

Thanks!