Billy77

Police/Fire Scanner HAM Radio Help Needed...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have a nice hand held scanner, YAESU VX-6 Submersible.

Looking for some one who can program it to local Police, Fire, EMS and a bunch other bands just to stay in touch of what is going on.

I know some miunicipalities have gone digital but there are a ton out there still able to listen too. Even Marine bands would be great too!

LMK if any one who enjoys programming and can help me out. It was originally programmed about 6 years ago and now just scans the original codes and all I hear is silence. LOL

I could use a refresher course too!!!  

Thanks all...

Billy

Hoping some one can update my scanner for me since a ton of municipalities are digital and I can not pick them up with my scanner.

Not lookin to get into the hobby...just lookin to listen and hear what is going on.

Thanks for all the input guys...

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 minutes ago, Billy77 said:

Hoping some one can update my scanner for me since a ton of municipalities are digital and I can not pick them up with my scanner.

Not lookin to get into the hobby...just lookin to listen and hear what is going on.

Thanks for all the input guys...

And you probably won't pic them either because when they went digital a lot  of them went to trunking too so you can't listen.

We went digital here but dispatch is still on the old frequency and the one channel they used for units on the scene plays back all the digital in the county except the police, they just recently switched or will be switching to trunking so you can't hear them.  And appt of them are using the cell towers with the cell companies.

Other then that I can't pick anything else up in the counties around me unless I use the scanner app on my phone and it's a fequncey that they broadcast.  

Edited by DerrickT

What you are looking for is known as an "Elmer"

Check with AARL to see if there is a local ham radio club nearby.