flyrad10

DIY cart with salvage plastic wheels

6 posts in this topic

As promised here is a photo of a pvc diy cart with wheels salvaged from a kids ride in Cadillac Escalade. It rides well in soft sand but It has issues with the axel which is a threaded rod. I must humbly admit one wheel fell off on its maiden voyage which was attached by a nut and lock washer that came loose and fell off during the return trip to packing lot. Perhaps, nylon lock nuts will work better?

IMG_0660.JPG

Many of our maiden cart journeys have had similar results, its a learning process. You could double nut the axles, or drill and cotter, or get two allen set screw shaft collars. Good luck

Bushings in the plastic rim would help with wear on the plastic 

Drill a hole thru the axle &  use a Clevis pin or similar to secure....

4 hours ago, BillZ said:

Bushings in the plastic rim would help with wear on the plastic 

Drill a hole thru the axle &  use a Clevis pin or similar to secure....

The threaded bar will eat through the wheels in short order, if still practically possible, get some steel (stainless would be good) tubing that you can use to sleeve inside the rim - probably exactly what BillZ has suggested :p

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for all the tips and will use these ideas to modify the cart in short order. Either a solid smooth axel or a tube will be used because as Africaster said the threaded rod will eat through the plastic wheel bushings.

Edited by flyrad10
Additions

Do a search for the cart Riddler put together, except use your wheels.  I've got to build another cart, my old commercial cart has one, maybe two seasons left in her.   I'd like to build one of these electric jobies.   :)