flylikabird

Electric Powered Kayak Cart

20 posts in this topic

I was checking out a u-tube video on installing custom fit Mirrage drive's in non peddle kayaks when I saw this video.  ***************Warning when viewing this video keep the volume LOW!!!!!!!!

The PA is a beast, my dad had one a few years ago.  He really needed help car topping it whenever he wanted to hit the beach.   Matter of fact, we actually built a trailer for his and my Adventure, but mostly just for his PA.  :)  

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's nice to bring down to the water especially when there is distance. Sucks that you have to walk it all the way back to the truck. I've seen powered wheelies that is waterproof and someone builds them privately. Person who had one wouldn't give up any other information of the " how can I get one". Ive also seen a kayak with an axle built in the back with one ballon  tire and it moved very well and with one wheel the guy detached the axle from the rear and brought the whole thing with him. Anyway to make the struggle and fuss a little easier always is a plus.

Edited by FishingmaniYaks

7 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

You guys have to come to Florida. Just pull over and the kayak is in the water in the next 5'. I haven't used a set of wheels yet 

We need wheels up north to monster truck over the trash and whatever else was left behind. It amazing the stuff we see on our journey to the waters edge.

Yaks, oh ya I know. I used to live in NJ. It is amazing the difference and how the fisherman is perceived here as compared to NJ. The opportunity to have access to the water is second to none. Even if you wanted to launch from a boat ramp the closest one to me for the bay is a whole $2, that's for anyone to use. People with jet skis launch from pull offs at a waters edge. No need for a ramp. You can park just about anywhere given it's not private, pull right over on the grass and launch.  

I understand sandy hook has limited where you can launch and taken away spots I used to launch at. They just keep making it more difficult to enjoy the water and what it's used for. Granted the security side of the CG station but still you could launch and be away from the station. 

Every time i get out its a push/pull where do I launch. Do I go here or there? Where should I go today. So many options are given to us. 

You know here you can actually fish on the beach next to a swimmer, the horror of it. Here they don't close the beach down for a bird and we have endangered turtles that nest right next to the swimmers. Go figure that out. We are always so impressed with the climate related to the sportsman here. We are not looked down on.

I have experimented a lot with powered carts.I have had mixed results using Powerwheels toy jeep motors which can be tricky to adapt to the trax cart.They were very lightweight but were noisy and underpowered  for a heavy PA.Now I use the contraption below made from a razor scooter ATV dirt quad motor. Its powerful,silent, and pushes freely.The whole setup weighs 10 pounds but  still stows on board behind the seat in the usual way and I often take it out on the water.If you have a battleship,it is a worthwhile build,but connection of wiring and a battery to the device can be complicated which is why it is difficult to describe how to build one. Battery and wiring can be as simple or as complicated as you want.To "get one"  you really have to build one.It is simple to mount the motor like this one and I can probably  help you source the parts online but something like this is really just a garage hack experiment.

IMG_20170408_205649.jpg

That one is the 350 watt motor (my1016z3).24V (or 36) 12V will not work. It has a 5:1 gear reduction gearcase.Total reduction is 9.4:1 with the chain sprockets.(47&25 tooth 8mm 05T chain) All parts were taken directly out of a kids razor ATV which is probably the closest application for the weights/speeds needed.I also have the 250w motor which is nearly identical and lighter, but its mounting was different and more difficult.

Edited by T Roc
Added detail

I used M6x180mm 304 Stainless Steel Double End Threaded Stud Screw Bolts, M6x1mm nuts,and what's called stud connector nuts  to attach the driven sprocket to the wheeleez.You'll have to invert one of the black wheel bushings inside the wheel. A piece of 2x4,some ubolts and little mcguyvering.The bolt spacing on the sprocket matched the wheeleez exactly. Good luck.

Edited by T Roc

I want to build one too, it's probably gonna happen this winter but really interested in this future project.   I know I'll wish it got done in September when I really need it but maybe that'll be the inspiration to get it done this winter.   Good Luck guys!