quack

Lead Core / Conventional Setup for Trout

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a light weight setup for lead core trolling for trout (kayak).  I use my BiLs, but he's nuts and has saltwater gear.  I know that lead core isn't the most sporting, but I'd like to downsize a bit and get my own rig.  I probably only fish this way 7x/year and I don't want to break the bank.  Looking to spend under $200 total if possible, but would spend more if it drastically increased performance.

What's the best line?  How is suffix 832 12#?

Best reel?  I'm clueless in freshwater conventional/bait casters.

Good rod?  Preferable around 6'.

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lightweight and leadcore are not two words i would use in the same sentence. Just a couple colors of lead core requires a pretty stout rod. As thats alot of weight to drag around.

First you need to figure out what depths youll be fishing. This will tell you how much lead core line youll need, which will tell you the size of the rod/reel you need to support/hold it.

An ugly stik tiger lite and abu ambassadeur of the appropriate sizes would probably work for your price range. For line, check out Tuf-Line Micro Lead. Its thinner than most other brands, so u can get away with more line on a smaller reel.

Depending on the size of these trout, the fight will be almost unnoticeable using a leadcore setup.

Edited by Baitbucket

I use a GLoomis and a Fenwick casting rods with Abu 5000 & 6500 reels with 12 lb lead core. I tried the Suffix and found it difficult to work with. Most of the time you only need 2-3 colors, use 6 ft mono leaders. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, quack said:

Thanks I will look into your suggestions.  I agree with the light weight/lead core statement.  I should have said lighter weight.  

Another quick thing to note. If you are trolling spoons, rooster tails, or anything that spins, you want to use a high quality BALL BEARING swivel (SPRO or Sampo) to connect the leadcore to your leader. Regular barrel swivels wont work, and will twist your leadcore to s#it, rendering it useless pretty quickly

Edited by Baitbucket

I have fished Maine and NH for the last 50 years in the spring from ice out  to when the ice goes back in. I do not use lead core anymore .For the last 30 years I have been using 7 strand stainless steel line ( 60lb ), loaded on a Daiwa level wind reel with a line counter and a 30' leader with a good swivel that will go threw the level wind. For a rod I use a seven and a half foot G Loomis Hot Shot rod that I built with Fuji SIC guides .The setup is very lite and I pump streamers all day with little effort. I also use fly rods and fly reels loaded with steel line ,but I have the steel marked every 25'.Lead core is a thing in the past in New England plus it is not legal anymore because of the Loons.

13 hours ago, Doodle said:

I have fished Maine and NH for the last 50 years in the spring from ice out  to when the ice goes back in. I do not use lead core anymore .For the last 30 years I have been using 7 strand stainless steel line ( 60lb ), loaded on a Daiwa level wind reel with a line counter and a 30' leader with a good swivel that will go threw the level wind. For a rod I use a seven and a half foot G Loomis Hot Shot rod that I built with Fuji SIC guides .The setup is very lite and I pump streamers all day with little effort. I also use fly rods and fly reels loaded with steel line ,but I have the steel marked every 25'.Lead core is a thing in the past in New England plus it is not legal anymore because of the Loons.

Screenshot_20170721-061956.png

Screenshot_20170721-061835.png

Seems to be ok in NH too.  Doesn't change your argument about the benefits of wire over lead core (which I will look in to).   It seems the pb ban is on sinkers and jigs weighing 1oz or less.

Since the late 70's, I have been using a Martin Multiplier, MR72 fly reel matched up with a 9' 8 or 9 wgt. flyrod with a fighting butt. Put about 40 yards of 30lb braid then splice that to a small diameter leadcore line. I use 18 lb test.  you can get 7-8 color on the reel along with a 30-40 foot mono leader. This is an old school set up.

1 hour ago, quack said:

Seems to be ok in NH too.  Doesn't change your argument about the benefits of wire over lead core (which I will look in to).   It seems the pb ban is on sinkers and jigs weighing 1oz or less.

Correct, lead laws dont apply to lead core line. Unless people start cutting it up and the loons suck it up like spaghetti...

Never tried lead core line. 

For trolling I use a 7 1/2' composite rod with ABU 6500 or 5500 with "enhanced" clicker/line out alarm. I also use Gapen's bait walkers or similar (nobody forces you to use them on the bottom) and leaders just short of the length of the rod. I liked the Fireline metered line which I can't find any longer.

s-l225.jpg.a917063091213fd42d63f747f0ead2f9.jpg

Your leader may occasionally twist itself into knots, but can't spin the lead and won't twist your mainline.

edit: I just found some Fireline tracer on eBay. It seems to be new/different. I'll give it a try.

Edited by bunnymoney