crzynate25

First CT trip - First week in August

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone - taking my first trip to CT the first week of August with the family. Plan on trying some surf fishing near Harkness Memorial Park (staying near there), not looking for spots just curious what is biting and typical rigs/plugs people use this time of year. I can't really bring my whole salt water fishing arsenal so just looking to streamline it. I typically fish NJ in spring and fall for the striper run and OBX in the summer, so just trying to get a gasp of what to expect in CT this time of year. Any general information would be great.

I'd bring a couple 7 ft. ish rods.  Lure wise I would go with half ounce-3/4 bucktails with trailers, some poppers, swim shads, and swimmers.  If you prefer to toss bait, fresh bunker from a tackle shop and 9/0 circle hooks with a fishfinder rig.  August slows down, but you never know, this is a very weird season and if there's significant bait the bass and blues won't be far behind.  Low light will generally be your best friend but you really never know, get out there and make some casts, let us know how you do.

Thanks Huntah - I will definitely be using those lures, which is what I usually use down in Jersey so Im glad that those are the recommend baits as I am comfortable with them. My pops usually baits and waits, so we'll defiantly have everything covered to see if any fish are eating near us. I agree, spring this year for me was a little bizarre, all the 30+" blues you could want but as for bass, all I could find were shorts. Haven't really been out at all this summer but hopefully next week we can find the fish.

This has been one weird year. I had one of my best springs ever followed by the worst summer ever. Go figure. 

Like stroipahunter said swimmers, bt's, poppers, swimshad's, and some sluggo's.  

Never fished with sluggos before - but with the summer everyone is having I should probably pick up a pack and try. Just hoping to pull in a few fish with my 6 year old, even if they are sea-robins. Tho' if CT doesnt show any love for me next week, I will be heading up to Mass for that following weekend to visit family and hit the canal. My uncle was riding his bike there 2 days ago and saw a bunch of guys hit a nice blitz of bass. Attached is the pic he texted me yesterday.

IMG_4202.JPG

If you really want to put a bend in your son's rod, find a rough bottom area and toss out clams on a hi-low or tandem rig as most of LIS will have Porgies sitting in shallow water. Even better if you can get yourself on a pier or bulkhead where you can lower a chum pot. I did just that across on the LI side last weekend for my cousin who came out with her 5 & 7 year olds. A bunch of porgies, some small snappers and even a 21" Striper took to our clam baits in the middle of the day. Once chum ran out, bite slowed as well.

Ok thanks Brushfly - We are staying right in front of some Jetties - so Im thinking if I can put a chum pot about halfway out and then just cast towards it I should be able to have my son stand on the beach and fish. (don't really want my 6 year old playing on a jetty.)  Or I'll see if I can find a bulkhead near by and do some crabbing while we are at it. He'll be happy to catch porgies and crab all day and thats fine by me.

Back from CT and we had a blast. Fishing was slow but my 6 year old had a great time with porgies and sea robins. Harness was just loaded with sea robins and they hit everything you threw in the water. Did manage to find a few small fluke and some snapper blues but other then that it was quite. Did see a guy catch a 12-16" striper on a fly, so that was cool to watch. Tho' I think next time I'm in CT I will just charter a boat, shore line was hard to come by, at least in the new london/waterford area.

8 hours ago, crzynate25 said:

Back from CT and we had a blast. Fishing was slow but my 6 year old had a great time with porgies and sea robins. Harness was just loaded with sea robins and they hit everything you threw in the water. Did manage to find a few small fluke and some snapper blues but other then that it was quite. Did see a guy catch a 12-16" striper on a fly, so that was cool to watch. Tho' I think next time I'm in CT I will just charter a boat, shore line was hard to come by, at least in the new london/waterford area.

It's been a strange year here in CT. All signs in the spring were pointing towards a banner year of striper fishing. I guess the stripers never got the memo.

Ditto here. Bizarro world in fishing this season, nothing like last year.

Oh and there are no fish in the Canal. This has been a public service announcement.:p

-bd

25 minutes ago, bdowning said:

Ditto here. Bizarro world in fishing this season, nothing like last year.

Oh and there are no fish in the Canal. This has been a public service announcement.:p

-bd

BD - yes i did "forget" to post on the lack of stripes in the canal... :cool: 

22 hours ago, crzynate25 said:

Tho' I think next time I'm in CT I will just charter a boat, shore line was hard to come by, at least in the new london/waterford area.

This is why fishing in CT is so difficult and people are very guarded about their spots and access points.  Many people are unwilling to help others because there are such limited areas to actually hit the water for a tide.