Head vs Chest Mount for GoPro

Rate this topic

CjTveit

As for which is better, I prefer mounted high up on the boat.  If you're not on a boat, and want it on you, on your head give a better view, but is very jumpy.  You move your head more than you think, even when you're consciously trying not to.

Chest is very stable, but you get the reel dead center and too big (imo) the whole time.

I like the chest mount with an extension bar.  But you will hear your close shifting under the mount.

if you wear waders a pole mount down the back is really nice

This was shot on a somewhat fogged polorized filter using the pole down the back of the jacket/ waders

tough to tell but it's 3 feet above my head

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

8 minutes ago, viper2788 said:

I think head mounts are better because it allows the viewer to see what the fisherman is seeing. Especially if you fish with other people, you can record other people without having to turn your entire body towards them. 

problem is nobody keeps their head still.  it's a better vantage point, but it sucks to watch most of the footage.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I am a fan of the chest mount, I think its more comfortable to wear. You figure you are fishing for a couple hours and only capturing a subset of that time, so might as well be comfortable. I do agree that the angle can be a bit weird because you get a lot of the reel. But I find generally that I get the fight pretty well, especially if the fish is jumping or the water is clear. Also i can hold the fish in front of me and get a good shot.

One thing to consider is mounting to something near where you are. The one issue i find with both the head or chest mounts are if you want to take a picture with you in it instead of just your hands holding the fish you can't do it.  If i am fishing from a pier or boat I will mount them so i can be in the shot.

Edited by fultonjd

Take a look at Skinner's videos - not exactly sure where/how his is mounted, but it is a head mount. I think over his many videos he has learned not to look around too much - but do look at his head movements when taking new gps readings in his recent fluke videos.

I wear my NFA hat - 

NFA GoPro Hat.jpg

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

Head mount is definetly a better view, especially if you can control your head movements. My neck hurts after awhile when using it though. 

Chest mount more comfortable, but I don't really like the view, or sound while casting.

You put a pig on a spit, and you can guarantee my attendance.

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

problem is nobody keeps their head still.  it's a better vantage point, but it sucks to watch most of the footage.

Exactly, you dont realize how much you look around until you watch a video with a head mount.

Billy.