Penn Torque II: First Look

Rate this topic

johndtuttle

10 minutes ago, blackdogfish said:

The blazing brashness of the brassy bling bling...that looks like a hood ornament from a Cadillac Escalade with NJ plates.

:) Would you be offended if I award you a gold star for your alliterative criticism? :)

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

Some notes, but Penn guys are super busy with ICAST right now so no confirmed details on some stuff:

1. Oscillation Gear is Brass, its just a more pale alloy than some and appears even more pale in the photos.

2. Main gear does not appear to be the identical marine bronze used in the past (but not certain).

3. Pinion seems to be the same hardened then machined stainless (the "immortal pinion") but now uses a separate sleeve for the AR Bearing instead of it being machined into the pinion.

4. Overall, a superb machine job on the outside of the reel, all surfaces are "soft" to the hand. Torque I was a little sharp in spots.

5. The separate removable right side plate is gone. It and the frame/stem are machined from one piece of stock.

6. Drag components are re-designed but still has the under-spool drag (max drag 50#).

7. New Knob and Clicker.

8. "Switch" for auto-bail closure is gone, reel is manual bail only. Bailess will be available (per Penn site).

9. Gold color is standard "International Gold" like their other reels. It is more red than the old Torque I which used a different anodization I believe. It also comes in Silver.

10. Torque II now features an internal "silent" back up AR with spring activated dog and ratchet (see images for the spring on the gear and dog mounted near the pinion).

11. Knob is removable and features 2 sealed bearings.

12. Crosswind Block is machined aluminum.

13. Pinion Assembly sealed at top and bottom.

14. Main spool shaft is heavy stainless and goes through the entire body to a rear housing.

That's all I can think of atm, feel free to ask questions. Reel seems like/looks from afar like the same version of the reel at first take, but in the hand is totally a different feel (far more ergonomically friendly/comfy) and nearly every individual component is updated/improved though still the same basic and simple design with minimal fluff.

Edited by johndtuttle

1 hour ago, lichum said:

:) Would you be offended if I award you a gold star for your alliterative criticism? :)

Sorry...I know dumb criticism is never welcome...I do consider myself a Penn guy, but Lordy.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

3 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

The blazing brashness of the brassy bling bling...that looks like a hood ornament from a Cadillac Escalade from Staten island 

Fify :)

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

19 hours ago, johndtuttle said:

Some notes, but Penn guys are super busy with ICAST right now so no confirmed details on some stuff:

1. Oscillation Gear is Brass, its just a more pale alloy than some and appears even more pale in the photos.

2. Main gear does not appear to be the identical marine bronze used in the past (but not certain).

3. Pinion seems to be the same hardened then machined stainless (the "immortal pinion") but now uses a separate sleeve for the AR Bearing instead of it being machined into the pinion.

4. Overall, a superb machine job on the outside of the reel, all surfaces are "soft" to the hand. Torque I was a little sharp in spots.

5. The separate removable right side plate is gone. It and the frame/stem are machined from one piece of stock.

6. Drag components are re-designed but still has the under-spool drag (max drag 50#).

7. New Knob and Clicker.

8. "Switch" for auto-bail closure is gone, reel is manual bail only. Bailess will be available (per Penn site).

9. Gold color is standard "International Gold" like their other reels. It is more red than the old Torque I which used a different anodization I believe. It also comes in Silver.

10. Torque II now features an internal "silent" back up AR with spring activated dog and ratchet (see images for the spring on the gear and dog mounted near the pinion).

11. Knob is removable and features 2 sealed bearings.

12. Crosswind Block is machined aluminum.

13. Pinion Assembly sealed at top and bottom.

14. Main spool shaft is heavy stainless and goes through the entire body to a rear housing.

That's all I can think of atm, feel free to ask questions. Reel seems like/looks from afar like the same version of the reel at first take, but in the hand is totally a different feel (far more ergonomically friendly/comfy) and nearly every individual component is updated/improved though still the same basic and simple design with minimal fluff.

The line roller arm looks a lot beefier too.

I wonder if the reel has even fewer parts then the original Torque spinners.

Edited by Pylodictis

On 7/12/2017 at 2:09 PM, Pylodictis said:

The line roller arm looks a lot beefier too.

I wonder if the reel has even fewer parts then the original Torque spinners.

Hard to say if it is beefier, certainly much more nicely machined.

Before, if your hands had been wet during the day the Torque I was a little tough on your hands, imo.

This is beautifully machined and finished.

All of the machining of parts is done in the USA, to the best of my knowledge. The screws, bearings etc are from overseas. As I understand it the People's Republic of California requires 100% made in USA to be labeled such. Not realistic that someone is going to open a bearing factory there anytime soon.

35102415953_466960244b_z.jpg

35071592014_89f4b630be_z.jpg

35102416093_9a472ddca8_z.jpg

35102416343_71907325fb_z.jpg

35071591584_ef2da555c4_z.jpg

5 hours ago, IsmailG said:

The first gen Torque was no where near it's worth in price, hopefully this seriously stepped up it's game to justify the price increase.

What do you think a made in the US, machined, water resistant reel, with an excellent drag, and well manufactured design that could last a life time, should be worth price wise?

Honestly, it was the most affordable super spinner on the market and still built in the US.

Or maybe you prefer made in China Zebcos?