Frank H.

Tuna in the Patapsco River!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone fishing north of the Bay Bridge seen any schools of tuna in the Bay?!?!

One beached itself at our terminal here in the Baltimore Harbor Saturday night!!!

One of our tug's crewman cut the tail off for dinner!?!?

Incredible!

Little Tunny or YT/BFT. 

There have been reports of Little Tunny in the past which are up there with the BD and Cobia caught north of the bridge in terms of unusual. 

Pretty interesting Frank. Would love to see a pic of there was one. 

It was a Blue Fin Tuna.

The photos are from our terminal's security camera. Look bottom right on the "beach". you will see one of our crew members bending over it cutting off the tail. The second photo is a close-up.

BFT at Vane.JPG

BFT at Vane 2.JPG

If I was swimming around in the Harbor, I would head for shore too, can't blame the fish.

That is incredible if it swam all the way up there.

Did the OP show that to the DNR?...maybe not the part about cutting the tail....but they would know if Tuna in the Bay has happened before.

If this was in July, it must have been fresh, for him to cut some off of it for food...  It would go rotten pretty quickly.

That would be amazing if it swam all the way from the ocean.   We see tuna at the CBBT, and a couple of miles up the bay, but Baltimore is crazy!

I agree...  Was suicide, for sure.  The fish realized it was lost in B'more harbor, and decided to end it all.    His inborn guidance system must have gone on the fritz.

-TH

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:32 AM, thill said:

If this was in July, it must have been fresh, for him to cut some off of it for food...  It would go rotten pretty quickly.

That would be amazing if it swam all the way from the ocean.   We see tuna at the CBBT, and a couple of miles up the bay, but Baltimore is crazy!

I agree...  Was suicide, for sure.  The fish realized it was lost in B'more harbor, and decided to end it all.    His inborn guidance system must have gone on the fritz.

-TH

I know this is an older post but you guys see tuna down at the CBBT? Is that a rarity or common enough to target them down there?