Reed422

Drones

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have one, but I haven't used in years. I didn't have the FPV and mounts for the camera, just a stationary mount for the gopro. So I would send it up, and whatever it came back with video-wise is what you got.

They got a lot of bad press, and I started reading about them flying off, and hurting people, etc... so it eventually never came out. The new ones look really cool, but they are a pretty big investment for limited use in my opinion.

I had one Reed and it was one of the happiest day's of my life when I sold it............. those things use civilian gps for navigation and flight controls and imo are a savings emptying lawsuit about to happen on every flight.......... as of the DJI phantom 3 plus which I had overtime it went up there was a good chance it would fly away for unexplained reasons. I hear they have gotten better but I am not willing to risk my life savings on a liability lawsuit due to a flyaway ... esp for a crap camera mounted on a toy

Reed, I've got a DJI Phantom 3 standard I picked up fairly cheap (under $300). I have a lot of fun with it. Still shots might be lacking in quality but the video is top notch. Especially on a 4K TV. Very easy to fly. Haven't dared to fly it at the canal. Don't think the ACOE would like it much although there are flyover videos on YouTube. Random flyaways were supposedly a problem with earlier versions but the latest firmwares haven't had any issues that I've heard of. I mostly fly around here where it's very rural. If it did happen to flyaway odds would be astronomically low that anyone would be in danger. But an urban area is another kettle of fish not only because there's more things to hit but also more wifi interference to mess with the control signal. 

56 minutes ago, Eagles Dare said:

Reed, I've got a DJI Phantom 3 standard I picked up fairly cheap (under $300). I have a lot of fun with it. Still shots might be lacking in quality but the video is top notch. Especially on a 4K TV. Very easy to fly. Haven't dared to fly it at the canal. Don't think the ACOE would like it much although there are flyover videos on YouTube. Random flyaways were supposedly a problem with earlier versions but the latest firmwares haven't had any issues that I've heard of. I mostly fly around here where it's very rural. If it did happen to flyaway odds would be astronomically low that anyone would be in danger. But an urban area is another kettle of fish not only because there's more things to hit but also more wifi interference to mess with the control signal. 

Hey sounds good. I'd probably want to bring it to the cape to fly over beaches and whatnot. Can you get a polorizing filter for it? Maybe I'll grab one eventually. 

1 hour ago, Reed422 said:

Hey sounds good. I'd probably want to bring it to the cape to fly over beaches and whatnot. Can you get a polorizing filter for it? Maybe I'll grab one eventually. 

Yeah, filters are available.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had filters on mine Reed .... had to mount a threaded adapter on then 46 or 49mm filters fit can't remember which. 

Todays regs set up by FAA last Jan put lots of regulations on their flight and where and over what. If there are people on the beach you plan to fly over that is a FAA violation. 

Edited by Jim DE

need a drone sub for that... they make them and I guess it is better they be eaten by a fish than fly away and hit a kid of have the litho battery ignite a roof

If I ever got a drone again it would be a 8 bladed one that could carry a 6300 or 6500 mirrorless with some good glass and resolution and have redundancy and a great system for flight. I trust my manual flight abilities more than civilian based GPS assist. But neither presently would I trust $3k worth of camera gear on at 300'

Videos? not my thing except with my Shotkam on O/U's for why I missed a sporting clays target.......... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here  are a few clips I put together from a trip I took a couple of weeks ago. No fish, but since an interest in the drones was brought up, I thought it may be appreciated.

Edited by DaveCap

Very nice video Dave. I could only imagine the logistics of getting a drone over to Italy, and then flying it. Well worth it for you. The videos from that vantage point are priceless.

I have the DJI spark, It has really got my re-interested in photography. I don't use it alot as there are so many restrictions. I flew my drone up to look at antennas on a water tank (I work in telecom) and I got too close to the tank and the drone took off on me. I could not control it and headed for an office building. I was worried that it would fly through a window or into someone or a car.  scary. 

. I still plan to use it but sparingly and only  to emphasis a story. Here is a video from OBX NC