Sagg

Slammer III 3500 rotor balancing issue

25 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, GM26 said:

Is there a solution to this? Two of my brand new reels are doing the same thing. 

I don't believe the original poster ever reported back.  Did you try a different rod?  I Haven't heard any other complaints.

tony

It doesn’t matter what spinning rod I try, there’s a very rhythmic bounce up and down. The bounce has to be caused by the oscillation gear, I can’t think of anything else. 

I am betting the reel slightly (or definitely) large for the rod it is on.  Particularly, is the depth of the reel (reel foot to outer edge of bail wire) large compared to first guide?   

if so, the line position through the entire oscillation isnt concentric with the first guide, and you can get a bump in only one position. 

As a clue, is the rythmic bobbing in time with the reel handle?

Edited by 55555s

This may work, blue tape a split shot on different  parts of the rotor and check for bounce. They are small solid reels, with high speed rotors, and longish, healthy offset handles. The Slammers have rhythm and they want to sing! 

2 mins ago, cheech said:

This may work, blue tape a split shot on different  parts of the rotor and check for bounce. They are small solid reels, with high speed rotors, and longish, healthy offset handles. The Slammers have rhythm and they want to sing! 

Take the reel to a work counter and place the reel foot under the outer edge of the counter, where you can hold the reel foot up against the counter with your fingers, if there is any vibration (wobble) as you turn the the handle it will show up doing this. Can check any spinner for rotor balance doing this. Most of the time if a very slight wobble, I do nothing. But if really out of balance, may have to add some weight to rotor which I do not like to do....just adding few ounces to the reel and I can tell the difference...want it as light as possible.

I have a new small Penn which had the same "issue". The issue was magnified when using a fast action rod as opposed to my older all glass rods. The reel is to pair with a rod for small jigs from 1/16 - 3/8 oz.

Could not work the small jig and detect a hit.

I did notice an ever so small bump when retrieving. Did not think this was the issue because it was so small, but compared to other much more expensive reels, noticeable. I sent the reel to Penn and they swapped a bearing. They problem is gone. As always - great service.

Hope this helps.