Sagg

Slammer III 3500 rotor balancing issue

26 posts in this topic

Hello Penn,

Happy 4th everyone!

I have a question about my Slammer III 3500.  I bought the reel to pair with a custom rod that I built this winter.  The behavior of the reel on the rod suggests that something in the reel is not balanced.  I have no idea if there is something wrong?  Here is the situation and I would appreciate any input. 

The rod tip bounces as i crank the reel.  Light jig - the tip bounces.  Heavier jig - the tip bounces more.  No load and the reel cranks without bouncing the tip.  A friend tried the rod and handed it back to me saying that the reel was not balanced and that I should return it. 

Is he correct?  Is this abnormal behavior for the reel?  The only thing I have done in order to verify the problem is to put a different reel on the rod.  A Stradic 3000 produces no tip bounce.

Thanks, I really like the reel (other than this issue)

Sagg

Good idea, I will try it with a different rod and report back.

The reel is not necessarily balanced with no load. It is hard to tell. No question that it is amplified with increasing load.  I am not talking about a lot of weight either. A 3/8 ounce shad causes the tip to bounce

The bottom line is that the more I fish the rod with different reels (I just put a vsx100 on it) the less tollerant I am of  the problem with the 3500. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have some information to report.  First of all the rod that I wrapped this winter uses Microwave20 guides.  I have used these guides on a number of rods with a number of different reels.   The Slammer 3500 is the only one that is behaving this way.  Here is what switching the reel to a "normal" rod revealed:

Less tip bounce with the FSC 9' Predator.  The tip does still bounce a bit but it is minor by comparison to the other rod with microwave guides.  This got me thinking so I used my fingers as a moveable guide and the second that I started choking the line closer to the reel face I was able to produce the same aggressive tip bounce.  I did the same thing with some other combinations of rods and reels that I had with me and none of them responded the same way.  So, what have I learned?  I am not sure yet...  It could be that my Slammer III 3500 is out of balance and that my chosen rod is not forgiving at all of a reel being out of balance.  It could be that nothing is wrong with the reel and I have to pair it with a different rod?  

I am going to try it with an inshore rod and a salmon/steelhead rod to see how the reel reacts to those layouts.

Edited by Sagg

What  you are finding is that the Slammer III is a heavier reel for it's size in all likelihood. 

This is (as always) a double edged sword. It is a beast that should hold up amazingly well, but the extra weight means that it loads the rod differently under load.

Hello johndtuttle 

I am not quite following you in regards to the weigh and load?  How does the weight of a reel effect the way a rod loads upon retrieve?  

In regards to the reel being a beast, I am in complete agreement!

Posted (edited) · Report post

More weight in the reel causes a "bob" in your hand when (even while mounted on a rod) turning over the handle.

Conversely, with a very light reel you can stabilize it better in your hand.

It is not a "balance" issue, it is a reel weight to your hand strength issue. It sounds like your friend is used to fishing very light reels.

Edited by johndtuttle

23 hours ago, johndtuttle said:

More weight in the reel causes a "bob" in your hand when (even while mounted on a rod) turning over the handle.

Conversely, with a very light reel you can stabilize it better in your hand.

It is not a "balance" issue, it is a reel weight to your hand strength issue. It sounds like your friend is used to fishing very light reels.

I would have to disagree. I had the exact same thing he's describing happening with a Saragosa. I feel that the reel must some how be out of balance and I get the same bouncing he described. However my slammer 5500 is totally smooth and it's substantially heavier.

2 hours ago, BRossi said:

I would have to disagree. I had the exact same thing he's describing happening with a Saragosa. I feel that the reel must some how be out of balance and I get the same bouncing he described. However my slammer 5500 is totally smooth and it's substantially heavier.

There are many factors in play, including the rod, guide arrangement, rotor balance (Saragosa's are known to have this problem) and weight of the reel. 

Usually you can notice the problem with a Saragosa rotor balance when it is not on a rod. If the Slammer III has this (would be first report) you can notice it when it is not on the rod.