Cjcast

Newbie

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am pretty much new to surf fishing and am looking for some pointers.  Is there a good source of what time of year it's good to target diffrent fish from shore in diffrent areas in RI.  Any other tips about fishing in RI would be great too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type of fish are you targeting and what areas (general)do you fish? Also if you haven't previously, a quick intro and joke are common entry fees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing a 2 oz. bucktail with a 3 oz. sinker tied at the top of a 3 foot leader to 'really keep it on the bottom' without using bait is not how you catch fish.  The poor newbie I met last night was rigged up this way.  He was so enthusiastic about it, I didn't have the heart to explain the folly of his ways.  YOU sir, have done the right thing by seeking the knowledge of the great ones via the interweb...

Where are you located?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from Bristol, RI. I have fishes for scup before, but that's really it.  I had a kayak for a season, and had some fun caught a few fish but not much luck.  The next season I did not have much time so I sold it.  Now that my time seems to be freeing up a little I hope to get back into fishing.  I want to start with surf fishing, and hopefully get a kayak again in a few seasons.  I will fish where ever, this season I have gone mostly to the rock wall near Point Judith lighthouse, think people call it the short wall.  I will fish for anything, strippers, flounder, tautog, sea bass.  I enjoy fishing.  I have a 7' Mojo inshore with a Penn slammer II(can't remember the size right now), and a 10'6" Mojo Surf 3/4 oz-4oz with a Penn Slammer III 5500.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you catch anything on that plug i gave you ? 

Newbie bluefish and stripers now - October 2  hours before light and 2 hours after sunset is a good start . Noon time bottom fish because there usually nothing around unless its late september / the fall run 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, whitey said:

to catch Strippers all you need is Cash . Stripers you need a rod and reel  :laugh:

Lol. :)

 

10 minutes ago, whitey said:

you catch anything on that plug i gave you ? 

Newbie bluefish and stripers now - October 2  hours before light and 2 hours after sunset is a good start . Noon time bottom fish because there usually nothing around unless its late september / the fall run 

 

Plug you gave me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ljschroe said:

Fishing a 2 oz. bucktail with a 3 oz. sinker tied at the top of a 3 foot leader to 'really keep it on the bottom' without using bait is not how you catch fish.  The poor newbie I met last night was rigged up this way.  He was so enthusiastic about it, I didn't have the heart to explain the folly of his ways.  YOU sir, have done the right thing by seeking the knowledge of the great ones via the interweb...

Where are you located?

Well this "great one" is the rat king lately. :p

-bd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interested in trying to going after albies and was wondering if I could get some tips?  Would one of my rods be better then the orher?  What lures work well?  I have read closer to sun set is a good time.  Is there a place people could suggest?  I am not looking for any secret honey holes any one has, maybe just a well known place I might have a chance to hook up.  I have read September seems to be the time they are around, is this true?  I also am trying to pick up saltwater fly fishing, is this a bad fish to try and go after my 1st season of fly fishing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey CJ. Albie fishing is a blast! A 7 foot rod on the stiff end will be fine but an eight or a 9 foot rod would be better. 20 pound braid with a 4 ft florocarbon leader.  Size 1 deadly dick lures are good for getting distance to cover more area and hit fish further away but an albie snack or even a zoom fluke are typically the best lure to use. Reeling in as fast as possible.

 

You just have to keep going out and looking for them anytime past mid August. Usually slows down late October. When they are there they are there and when they are not they are not. I've always found midmorning to be the most productive time though.

Edited by Dirty Walter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tips:

1. Please dont mentions specific spots, please if you report back report on general areas and not specific spots

2. Wear korkers or some kind of spiked footwear

3. If you are fishing the "drop" please watch others and ask questions if you dont understand what they are doing in the rotation, dont just jump in and assume to know what you are doing

4. Be sure to have an identified safe place to get down and get your fish if you catch any (there are no fish in RI other than sea robins), dont try and hoist fish up

5. know and understand what the tide and surf is doing, better safe then sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kooky said:

Tips:

1. Please dont mentions specific spots, please if you report back report on general areas and not specific spots

2. Wear korkers or some kind of spiked footwear

3. If you are fishing the "drop" please watch others and ask questions if you dont understand what they are doing in the rotation, dont just jump in and assume to know what you are doing

4. Be sure to have an identified safe place to get down and get your fish if you catch any (there are no fish in RI other than sea robins), dont try and hoist fish up

5. know and understand what the tide and surf is doing, better safe then sorry

Ok, I will remember not to post about specific spots.  I read about the rotation that happens, probably still too intimidated to jump into that.  Might just watch and learn how it works if people are there tonight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.