luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2017

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, martzy said:

First time back in the delmarva area since May. Fished an inlet, a beach, and by yak. Caught a few kings from the sand, about 2 dozen flounder from everywhere though all short, and got into a pile of triggers off the yak.

Nice work man. Wish I could have made out sunday.

We would have really cleaned up on the triggers man. First place I anchored up it was on. Forgot my stringer somehow so I could only stuff 9 in my little cooler, caught about 2 dozen though.

DSSP 7/22/ - Kingfish on both the high and low tides, caught using hi/lo rigs with fishbites. Tried close in but the bite was out as far as I could cast. Caught 4 flounder on the same rigs with FBBW alternative. Largest was about 15"

I fish long and hard...so why is it that the googan next to me using slated clams, casting with a terrible slice, catches a 24" cobia from the surf? "Hey, this is my first time fishing, is this a good fish?"

10 hours ago, SharkHunter said:

I fish long and hard...so why is it that the googan next to me using slated clams, casting with a terrible slice, catches a 24" cobia from the surf? "Hey, this is my first time fishing, is this a good fish?"

That there is funny :laugh:.......never underestimate a googan

10 hours ago, SharkHunter said:

DSSP 7/22/ - Kingfish on both the high and low tides, caught using hi/lo rigs with fishbites. Tried close in but the bite was out as far as I could cast. Caught 4 flounder on the same rigs with FBBW alternative. Largest was about 15"

That had to be painful to see.

For me I have not been able to buy a kingfish...that is painful too.

Out on the beach in Dewey this morning with my son. Nothing but crabs. I didn't see any of the other guys catching anything either. The ospreys were catching though. We got pushed off by rain around 8:30.

DSSP 7/25 - A few kingfish and a spot.  I've been catching kingfish just past the brown water on fishbites. The water temp has been a little lower, as the incoming inlet temps are still in the high 60's.

Is the whole beach open on AI? Saw on the news that they had the pony swim on the VA side. They usually don't do a round up until the plovers fly the coop....just wondering.

4 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Is the whole beach open on AI? Saw on the news that they had the pony swim on the VA side. They usually don't do a round up until the plovers fly the coop....just wondering.

The roundup and pony swim on Chincoteague has happened towards the end of July as long as I've been going over there (30+ years). Went once when I was a kid and NEVER again, way too many people crammed on that little island.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:31 PM, BLilly said:

The roundup and pony swim on Chincoteague has happened towards the end of July as long as I've been going over there (30+ years). Went once when I was a kid and NEVER again, way too many people crammed on that little island.

Yup, been the 4th week of July since forever.

A few kings on FBBW at the DSSP. You may need to try casting at different distances until you find where they are. Sometimes I find them as far out as I can cast, others they are right behind the suds - never both at the same time period.