Cjcast

Headlamp

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Nitecore HC 90.........  Whether it's 200$ or 300$ or 50$  I cant find one better.  I have horrible night vision.  ANd if I get hit with a bright light it takes me forever to adjust again.

The nitecore in white mode casts a very wide flood beam even when dimmed down to 2 candle power (magnetic sliding switch ...with the actual switch inside the waterproof housing and the magnet on the outside)  Brilliant design.

Runs on 1 18650 battery.  Has a charging port with a waterproof seal (comes with spare seals in the box)  Has red green and blue

Mine is still like new after about as much use as my sunglasses.  I think im on my 4th year using it.  ANd the headband is still in great shape.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Amazon has some waterproof ones for $10. They really are waterproof too. I keep mine in the outside mesh pocket of my surf bag and it's been submerged countless times while wading during the day and it still works fine. Batteries last almost a whole season (I try not to use it much anyway, so as not to spook the fish and also not to lose my night vision). Has red and white lights. It's not bright enough for mountain biking at night, but it's fine for fishing. Uses 3 AAA batteries. I'm very happy with it. 

One other thing - it's tiny and weighs almost nothing. Very comfy for wearing all night. But like I said, the trade off is that it's not bright like a car headlight, but who needs that for fishing anyway? 

Edited by Fishy Fisher

You should search here because there are a couple threads in the past two years with a LOT of info.  The NiteCor HC90 seems to be the Porsche ...the Underwater Kinetics seems to be the F150. I got the UK.  A little kludgey but OK and waterproof. Pretty inexpensive. No weird expensive batteries like the HC90

Keep a spare around my neck on surgical tubing...a Princeton Tec.

Make sure whatever you get has redight.  And make sure that you can set it up such that the first on switch position activates red light. Nothing worse than having the White be the first blast before you can get to red.

Princeton Tec Remix and remix pro. AAA and CR123 batteries respectively. They do not even advertise an IPX rating and they are a like $25 and $40.  Couple answered questions on Amazon say they can be used in the rain....but that's a far cry from being sprayed with and occasionally dunked in corrosive salt water. The UK and the HC90 are proven equipment.

I'd be hard pressed to spend anything near $50 for a head lamp.  You can get inexpensive ones that will last several years for so much less.  If your going to lose one piece of equipment, it's going to be your light.  Do make sure the model you get also has a red light or lens.  Red light is so much easier on your night vision.  You do want to use the light the least amount of time possible.

I bought some 20$ one at walmart 3 years ago with a white, red, and violet lights that runs on 2 AA.It's not even waterproof and has survived numerous splashes and dunks. I'm sure those expensive ones are nice, but if I can get all that for 20$ im gonna do it

I have two blackdiamond head lamps. Can't tell you the models but they are fantastic. I paid about 15 for each and have had them for a number of years. 

Strobe, gradual dimmer and redlights. 

Great lighting. 

8 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Make sure whatever you get has redight.  And make sure that you can set it up such that the first on switch position activates red light. Nothing worse than having the White be the first blast before you can get to red.

Princeton Tec Remix and remix pro. AAA and CR123 batteries respectively. They do not even advertise an IPX rating and they are a like $25 and $40.  Couple answered questions on Amazon say they can be used in the rain....but that's a far cry from being sprayed with and occasionally dunked in corrosive salt water. The UK and the HC90 are proven equipment.

This times a thousand. 

The the flash of white light is really blinding and destroys your night vision unlike red. The red light attracts significantly fewer insects as well  

If you want a lamp to work when you need it to then the cheap ones are unlikely to. 

I plan on my lamp being removed from my head by surf so it is lanyarded to my surf belt always.

Mine is a Petzle lamp which is drop and water tight down to around 6 feet. It has a battery case that fits at the back and is yellow and has 14 led. can't recall its darned model number. It costs a.round 200$

biggest issue is that first lamp position is high-intensity white light. No redlight facility.  

In company you would get called out big time. If you need a good light to save your life you would be glad you had this one..

If a lamp is not rated IP 68 then if it gets dunked it will fail sometime later.

I think ideal solution is this. Bright headlamp to get you out of a hole. Discreet neck torch to sort out your gear whilst actually fishing.

If you are stuck out on a rock you need very good quality gear.

If you only ever fish from sand you can compromise a bit.

Red light does not work for all of us older types.

Mike

i

I went with the Nitecore HC 90.  Looking at the lamp, looks like it will do everything I need it to.  Also used Amazon points I had, so didn't spend much money on it.  Thanks everyone. 

I rarely use a headlamp for multiple reasons. I like a Princeton tech with surgical tube around the neck. If you are set on a headlamp, when I was stateside I bought a 3 pack of energizer head lamps from BJ's. I swam with them, dunked them all season with no issues. Lost one when I got swept off a rock, but hey it was only $10 not $60.

To be honest I thought they would last 2-3 trips max. They were excellent and got a lot of use with no issues. Plus the price is right