Oxford Chris

first visit to SF area

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Dear All,

Thanks for having me on your forum.

If I may introduce myself - I'm an old English gent who has fished all his life, mainly in the UK.

Will be visiting my son who works in San Francisco from mid September for 3 weeks this year. 

Obviously I have no knowledge of where to fish in the SF area but I know how to catch our European species of marine bass.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me some advice about spots to try or even possibly fish with me and show me around.

I would be more than happy to cover your costs and / or buy the beers.

I'm only interested in shore fishing. ( and some river trout fly fishing) Will have the use of a vehicle and be based in Pacifica for my stay.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

O.K. Chaps, I've only just read the ' spot burn ' advice.

My apologies, of course I quite understand.Last thing I want is for you to broadcast your spot's to all and sundry.

I would still appreciate meeting up with anyone who could give me some advice. After all I will only be in your area a short time and only wish to sample a little of the available fishing.

If anyone makes it over here to England I will happily reciprocate the favour.

Again,please forgive a newcomer for my lack of etiquette regarding this matter..

Hi Chris,

Just saying "hello" and welcome to the forum.  September is a great time to visit.  There will still be a decent chance to catch our striped bass (genetically the same as our East coast striped bass since they were brought over to the West coast in the late 19th century).  Hasn't been the best year for them, but I'm holding out hope it will get much better in July/August/September).  I hope some of the forum's veterans offer out some help to you--lots of nice guys, so let's see what comes forth.  I can point you to a few of the obvious places north of Pacifica (obvious if you're from the San Mateo/San Francisco counties area).  I'll be able to more easily show you how to catch surf perch (see my post I posted today in the "Catch Anything Today" thread).  They're not challenging to catch, really, but a 1.5 pound tug on the line is better than nothing.  Look forward to possibly meeting you in September!

Best,
Jerry

Gentlemen,

My goodness,two replies in just a few hours,I honestly thought I might not get any at all !

Thanks so very much, I really appreciate your welcoming me to your forum.

I will bring tackle suitable for lure fishing ( plugging ),bait and live bait fishing, and of course my fly tackle for both sea fishing and river trouting.

As you all know, a little local knowledge and help  is essential when exploring a new area, hence my somewhat cheeky request for the same.

Striped bass would be my preferred quarry but  I'm happy to fish for anything you suggest ( or indeed whatever comes along eh )

Is a joke mandatory for a newcomer to the forum ?

I do actually have one or two if required ( not to sure about their  political correctness in USA though )

Hope to hear more from you  and thanks again.

Hi Chris, I think one of the trips you should take would be to get a spot on one of the charters in SF bay.    Lot of great skippers in the area.   I personally like the 6 pack charters.  They are smaller boats usually take only 6-7 clients and can be much more fun than being on a large charter.    You would also see SF from a completely different perspective, the wharf and waterfront, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.   

That time of year they are still catching striped bass, salmon outside of the Gate, and halibut.  The Argo leaves out of Fisherman’s Wharf, and Craig Hansen is a true gentleman.  Smaller boat, access to the cabin, you can see all the workings of the boat and he is great at answering questions as you travel from spot to spot.     Osprey is another charter that leaves out of Richmond which is across the bay. 

You can google 6 pack fishing SF Bay for more information.   Enjoy your vacation.

Welcome to the West Coast forum Chris. Depending on specific dates, I may be available to wet a line with you. I have put in a fair amount of time on the sand with less than fair results but I'm willing to keep trying.  A lot of the stripers here are caught when the sun is down which means walking the beaches at night. Pacifica is pretty much in the middle of the striper fishing grounds.

As far as perch, they can be a lot of fun on light gear.

Thanks odasan,

My dates are 19th September until 12th November inclusive.

First week will be visiting Goleta and weekends spent with my son, whom I'm staying with in Pacifica.

Should be free weekdays and weekday evenings for fishing, meeting folks, hopefully a BBQ and exploring.

If you give me your mobile phone number I can call you on my arrival when I will have a USA sim and mobile number.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Regards,

Chris

A true gentleman....nice meeting you on the beach Chris.   Hope you had a nice Friday with Linesideslayer.   Enjoy the rest of your trip and be safe.  

I released this one too a little later on that stretch of water. 

IMG_8756.thumb.JPG.3b79843d553e84abebe8cec554611449.JPG

My Dear Chap,

Nice fish, well done indeed.

Thanks so much for your kind welcome, advice, encouragement and gift of the ' curly tails '

Will be trying the spot in the bay you mentioned this coming week, so wish me luck.

Oh yes, had a good time with Guy in Monterey Bay. We had several large Bat Rays on cut bait to 50+ lbs.

Good fighters on light tackle but sadly no Striped Bass.

Just got back from Yosemite where I managed a couple of Rainbows on dry fly in absolutely stunning surroundings.

Wish I could have met up with Winch and some others but my plans to have a mobile phone whilst here didn't materialise so v difficult to contact them and make arrangements to fish together.

If you talk to them in the next couple of days they could PM or e mail me I still have a week left.

chris.tremore@gmail.com

Regards,

Chris.