Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

JonS

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

JonS, the originator and first moderator of our Kayak Fishing Forum joined this site on the very first day...and sadly passed away on September 28, 2016. I was certain that there was a thread in here for him, Jon had a lot of friends here and deep roots in the kayak fishing community. His passing, like so many in this forum, was way too early :( 

I was lucky enough to have fished with Jon a handful of times way back in the very early days of this site. RIP Jon....

TimS

RIP Jon.....a true enthusiast who did so much to broaden the appeal of kayak fishing. An absolute gentleman who would readily share his knowledge with others. We lost a giant when he passed.

kf1.jpg

kf2.jpg

On 6/29/2017 at 11:15 PM, lurejunkie00 said:

so sad. 

It is sad but it's amazing what him and Joey Kayak gave to the Northeast. The period happened just as all those Bass started to go from schoolie size to legals. In 2003-2006 the big part of the kayak fishing movement was taking place. I'll be forever grateful to those two guys.

I never met the man, but have heard of his vast enthusiasm for the sport along with his contribution to it, so for that he's definitely missed in my book.   God bless ya Jon and god speed.   RIP Jon S..  

just saw this - RIP Jon S. 

I met Jon S in the early 2000's from his kayak forum. He rented a house for a week in Welfleet and I and a few joined him and crushed the bass. It was one of the best weeks of fishing in my life. Thank you Jon S! 

Posted (edited)

Jon was a good man. Paddled with him in April one time on the susky flats while it was snowing. Ran into him unexpectedly a decade later while on Cutty.   

Edited by Terry Mac

Bought my first of three yaks from Jon shortly after joining SOL in 2003.  Took my two boys ages 5 and 7 at the time to pick up my OK Prowler 15 at Jon's house.  Jon was still rigging it up early in the morning when we arrived so I helped him out and took us about 45 minutes-hour to finish up. Meanwhile his mom fed my boys cookies and kept them busy.  I met Jon once more when we both fished with a large SOL group on the Susky flats. He was a pioneer and a legend in yak fishing, RIP Jon.