Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

Asseteague

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Things are progressing on our little trip to Pony Island next month. the dates are set Sept 22-24. Permit shoudl be on its way soon smile.gif

a couple questions, Is there parking in the park? One guy B.Myers will be riding with me and we need a place to leave his truck. Is there a place to grab a shower at some point?

The tentative plan is to roll out there friday night set up and fish. If we come off the beach to sleep how tough is it to get back on the beach? What I am saying is I know they have a limit and I would hate not being able to get on.I would guess we will be pulling out sunday around noon. We will of course have the grill and cook stove to whip up some eats for us and whoever else is around.

John M.

Your buddy can park his truck at my place or at my work - not a problem. That far after Labor day I wouldn't worry about getting on and off. You guys can get a shower at my place if you like, Bill K. has stayed at my little fishing shack. He can clue you in.

I should be there most of the time to "guide" you on your first equine island red drum adventure, sounds like some of the other usual suspects will be there too.

Don't make any sudden moves around them and avoid eye contact at first. No immunity challenges... We don't vote anyone off the island - the bugs usually do that.

I use the term "guide" loosely...

smile.gif

John M...overnight parking is allowed in the National Park according to the Rangers... Best place would be at the South Beach lot which is next to the entrance to the Off Road Vehicle (ORV) area. B. Meyers can park his vehicle there for as long as his entrance pass allows... The weekend/weekly entrance pass I believe is $5 and is good for X multiple nights. You both will need to purchase it at the gate when you enter... Interestingly, the yearly entrance pass is only $15 and you get a bar code card that allows you quicker entrance via an automated gate... There should be no problems w/ crowds in late Sept...

Hot showers are available at the State Park portion of the island... They should still be opened at that time of the year... What the fees are there I am not sure... The National Park has running potable water at stalls in the camp sites...

Take DP up on his offer all the way around... If anything else he will entertain you w/ his funny brand of humor...

The Pony Island Surf Rats will be there also...everyone will pitch in to allow others to get some cat naps I'm sure, but watch out for DP when you are asleep. He does strange things in the night! When you awake he'll show you that his cut bait fish glows. Too weird biggrin.gif...

Bring your grub and cookers...the boys like to make camp fires on the beach...big fires at times... Not good for the Striper fishing, but excellent for keeping warm and illuminating one's facial expressions during the prerequisite tall-tales... Also, bring your insect repellant and pray for a easterly wind which should also help w/ the fishing... A westerly wind and the flying bugs will carry you back to the dunes and devour your carcass!!!

Can not say for sure you will need your Heavers based on weather alone during the 3rd week in September...but hurricane season will still be near its peak in the north Atlantic frown.gif... But since the target fish is Red Drum, you just may want to bring the big guns anyway. I'm not saying they are absolutely necessary, but you never know biggrin.gif... Also some big toothy critters might still be around then... If you land a shark it goes to Critter Gitter (Dave Swenson), the island's resident "if it swims, I eat it" fisherman at large...

One last thing...please don't pet the ponies or stop in the middle of the road to take pictures...too touristy!

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

Thanks D. Powell, I guess we'll get directions via- email at a later date, to either your work place or home.

I'll have to transition my stuff over to John's truck...so we don't here the infamous...."you know, I have that, but it's in my truck!" Right, John?

As far as vittles go...we usually eat pretty good on the beach!

And the fire thing....that even happens with a drum chewing being a possibility? Atleast it'll provide enough light so John can get a good picture of me with my 50+" red. biggrin.gif

Thanks folks,

B. Myers

John M and B. Myers,

Yeah, I'll give you my cell and other #'s so we can hook up and get organized for battle.

Ignore Poppy - he's a rock hopper anyway. smile.gif

I'm really not humorous in person, quite withdrawn and sullen actually...

Looking forward to it!

Dave

A couple of thoughts from an Assateague guy.

About leaving your buddy's car, I don't think you can park at the South Beach between midnight and 5 am. (Could be wrong...) But you can park it in the main parking lot by the National Park Ranger station.

Also, as long as one person is up per car, overnight parking IS allowed so you may just want stay on the beach.

Lastly, showers??? As long as you stay downwind of each other, it shouldn't be a problem: it enhances the bait anyway.

(anyone see the :v smiley?)

With permission and a note on the windshield you can park there in the last lot. Rhumble rock is mostly correct. I thought they might want to shower for the ride back. Don't matter to me...

Yeah, you can always nod off in your vehicle when others are around. You gonna make it then Steve?

Thanks for the input Poppy, Steve and of course Dave. Dave I think We will take you up on your fine offer smile.gif This way we wont have to worry about the Brians Truck int he park, of course where he parks it is Brians final decsion. Brian, yeah I get tired of hearing its back at the room, its in the other truck smile.gif

Dave does the guidig have a gauranntee of Reds? Just kidding.....

What esle in the wash that time of year? Puppies, blues, spanish? I am sure croaker and such will be there, so I can get the under 2# slam as usual frown.gif

thanks guys I am looking forward to it smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John M. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

DON'T LET POWELL GUIDE YOU!!!

You'll wind up at a Hooters in Oh Sin City.

I suppose you can find them on your own much closer to home.

Why don't you join us Plug? You can't fall off a beach and you don't need Korkers to stay vertical. You can use a couple of my sand spikes...

The "Guide" term was used in it's "Chamber of Commerce, welcome to the neighborhood" sense not the "I'll put you on fish" sense.

All the fish you mentioned and maybe some Black Drum as well, not Macks though.

smile.gif

Hooters isn't vulgar or anything - just NEVER order a hotdog there. Embarrassing.

How about a knockwurst, or a big ole' polish kielbasa? smile.gif

I'm thinkin' about it Dave. Thing is this big corn harvest is going to have me tied in knots in the daylight hours. Only time I'll see the beach is at night or maybe a Sunday afternoon or two.