gdc23

CTS S7 info needed

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Looking for advice on a CTS S7 11' rod for the canal. Will be used primarily for 3 oz pencil poppers but would also want to throw heavier 3.5 oz pencils and sebile swimmers and stick shads. Would you guys with experience with the CTS rating system recommend the 1-4 oz or the 2.5-5.5 oz version.  Looking to mate it up with a Aero Technium 10000 MgS XS-B and am looking for a builder familiar with the proper guide layout for this reel,. Any help is appreciated

Thank you

gdc

Gdc, I don't know if you have looked at the CTS site and the note they make about the S7 blanks. They say they are rated as heavy casting tools (or words like that) and that they are a fair bit more powerful than Vapour Trails with the same cast rating. It doesn't sound like the S7 ratings are over stated.

I have the CTS 2-4 and cast 3 to 3.5 lures. Me thinks 2.5-5.5 would be to heavy unless you will want to cast 5oz. The CTS ratings are spot on and not over stated like most rods.

Thanks for the responses, after talking with a few people it seems they are rated for weight plus bait. Most say you can plan on atleast 50% over the rating on the S7 and S8. I believe this does not apply to the VaporTrail.

I have several CTS rods and I completely disagree with that assessment.  CTS rods throw below their rating very well, they don't do over their rating, at all.  

I would go with the 3-6 (did they change it to 2.5-5.5?)

Posted (edited) · Report post

28 minutes ago, TLap21 said:

I have several CTS rods and I completely disagree with that assessment.  CTS rods throw below their rating very well, they don't do over their rating, at all.  

I would go with the 3-6 (did they change it to 2.5-5.5?)

Not sure if your refering to the VaporTrail this is the info on the S7 from the CTS website

(The S7 series is rated as a heavy casting tool. When comparing cast ratings to our other series such as the Vapor Trail, Bay Caster etc, please increase the ratings by another 2/3. i.e. an S7 2.5-5.5oz cast will be comparable to a Vapor Trail 4-8oz)

Edited by chumfish
Removed links

On 6/30/2017 at 11:33 AM, Dockillemall said:

I have the CTS 2-4 and cast 3 to 3.5 lures. Me thinks 2.5-5.5 would be to heavy unless you will want to cast 5oz. The CTS ratings are spot on and not over stated like most rods.

What series do you have and whats your opinion on it

On RH Custom rods, the S7 is rated 3-6, but not a big deal, was just curious.  

I have/have had:  

• Two Vapor Trails (irrelevant to your post), and they were both overrated, imo.  1-3 is more 1/2-2 and 3-6 is 2-5.  
  • Two Surf and Jetties.  2-4 and 3-6.  Both maxed at the top end.  
  • S8.  Was rated 1-3 when I had it, now it's rated 1-4.  I would personally rate it 2-4.  

I think CTS rods are phenomenal, but the two main pro staff guys on here (Johnnycakes and JM) have both stated multiple times that CTS rods are known for throwing under their rated range and don't recommend going over.  I agree with them.  

8 minutes ago, TLap21 said:

On RH Custom rods, the S7 is rated 3-6, but not a big deal, was just curious.  

I have/have had:  

• Two Vapor Trails (irrelevant to your post), and they were both overrated, imo.  1-3 is more 1/2-2 and 3-6 is 2-5.  
  • Two Surf and Jetties.  2-4 and 3-6.  Both maxed at the top end.  
  • S8.  Was rated 1-3 when I had it, now it's rated 1-4.  I would personally rate it 2-4.  

I think CTS rods are phenomenal, but the two main pro staff guys on here (Johnnycakes and JM) have both stated multiple times that CTS rods are known for throwing under their rated range and don't recommend going over.  I agree with them.  

What did you think of the S8,  I have heard that it is one of the longest casting rods.

Certainly is a bomber. It is difficult to properly load though, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're standing on rocks and/or have a limited backswing. 

The "fisherman's chop" cast isn't really ideal for the S8.

I also found it too stiff for Pencil Popping, but that's all personal preference.

8 minutes ago, TLap21 said:

Certainly is a bomber. It is difficult to properly load though, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're standing on rocks and/or have a limited backswing. 

The "fisherman's chop" cast isn't really ideal for the S8.

I also found it too stiff for Pencil Popping, but that's all personal preference.

Thanks for the info

3 hours ago, gdc23 said:

What series do you have and whats your opinion on it

I have a 12ft. S8. I think the S8 was a longer S7. The old S7 went only to 11Ft. Now S7 is to 15ft. and no S8 go figure. It is very stiff and quick. You have to be smooth and hold the but tight or the lure will tumble. I get more distance than my Century ss1328. casting polaris poppers, pencils . needles eat. at high speed for GT.

I fish the 1-4 11ft and if you wanna throw 3+ I would opt for the heavier model. 3/4 to 3 is superb on the 1-4.  It is a great rod with power and sensitivity but would not want to throw over 3 with power.