JohnP

How often do you use your boat?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

...and what prevents you from using it more?

well since I bought a boat I seem to be using in 2-3 times a week. Usually one short trip close by, within 2-3 miles, one medium run of about 15-20 miles. And one cruise with friends or family (not fishing ) sometimes just around the harbor 

I have to look at the hours but I'd say I'm putting 7-10 hours a week

so far a blast  eating more fresh fish too

why I don't I use it more?

1. time  (work)

2 weather   Weve had lots of high winds and big swells  but luckily I've got plenty of places to fish sheltered waters  last week I even fished in a steady rain  nobody else wanted to go, I didn't melt and the fish didn't care about the rain

I had a long chat with a couple guys with bigger contenders and regulators  one guy had an interesting take  he said to write down the days I wanted to fish but stayed close in due to seas  that would tell me if I needed a bigger boat ... but to be honest the days I didn't want to bounce around in a 23, a 26 wouldn't have been much better

how about you?

what keeps you at the dock?

Almost  ever day when Im in Florida for 7 months of the winter. If its really windy Ill take the kayak to an out of wind location. I put 200 hours on motor in the 7 months. Up here Im working 12/7 so slip out in the solo skiff a couple times a week.

March - About 10 days
April -  About 25
May - About 25
June - About 20
July - About 15
August - 20
September - About 15
October - Maybe 10
November - About 25
December - About 15

Sometimes the season extends into January, and sometimes I put it back in in late Feb, but let's just call those 2 months a wash.

Definitely not enough.  Last year I used my ( new to me) boat 22 times for about 100 hrs between the end of May and the end of September.  I would love to at least double my time on the water.  My Monday thru Friday job is preventing me from using it more often.

Last winter I saw an ad on Craigslist where a captain was selling three year old outboards with almost 4000 hours on them and I thought how lucky I would be if I could 500 hours on the water every three years.

19 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

March - About 10 days
April -  About 25
May - About 25
June - About 20
July - About 15
August - 20
September - About 15
October - Maybe 10
November - About 25
December - About 15

Sometimes the season extends into January, and sometimes I put it back in in late Feb, but let's just call those 2 months a wash.

That's off the charts amazing 

do you run in all weather and seas ?

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

That's off the charts amazing 

do you run in all weather and seas ?

Depends what month, and where I'm trying to go.  I'm just a 23' single engine WA.

In March and April, all the fishing is in the bay, so I can go even if it's blowing 40.  Same thing in November.

All summer long, on truly flat days, we go for tuna, on 2'-4' days, we go out front for Fluke, on 4'+ days, we stay in the bay and crab, as that wind keeps the bugs away.

December is only 15 because all our fishing is out front for Tog or Stripers, and we can only go on days when the ocean is doable, which is about 50/50.

Not enough, most of the years I've owned it between 15 and 30 times a year.

Last year, courtesy of a raccoon getting into the cabin and giving birth, I didn't get the entire situation resolved until August so this year I started early and trying to make up for lost time.

Been contemplating putting it in a slip so that I can use it more, but the fees are murder by me.

2 hours ago, JohnP said:

Clamming in the bay in 30 let alone 40 wind is not fun at all. Done that

Here's one from earlier this year.  Was only blowing about 20, but I kept getting snow on my glasses.  Was messing me up.

I admire your drive JoeyZac. I bought a house on the water to maximize the convenience of fishing, but I still only find my self going out once a week most of the time and 2-3 times a week during certain peak times. I only have an 18ft parker so my biggest impediment to fishing more is weather. I have good fishing nearby in the river, so I do some striper fishing locally. Not really into fluking. However, I'd rather just be out in the ocean sitting on a wreck or reef so my days are limited due not only wind, but also to ridiculous seasons on bottom fish. Getting out once a week to fish for anything seems to scratch that itch for me. Going every day would just become work to me. I have a feeling when the day comes that it's time to upgrade, I'll be out there more, though. The crabs at my dock have been plentiful but miniature this year, so I bit the bullet and ordered 15 topless traps to hit the river with. That'll get me out there more, too.