Wire For Fire

FG knot, how you lock yours?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Been messing around with it and have watched all the tube vids and read many threads and everyone does a series of over hand knots to lock.. I have had zero luck getting one to lock confidentiality.. I do 20+ half hitches on leader then lock with two overhands .. then wet and pull the crap out of it.. clip tag of leader and do another 4-5 overhands to lock .. pull everything tight again and trim braid tag.. at this point the knot will def hold strong when pulled but..... if I pick at the lock with fingernail while under alil tension it will loosen right up and let the leader pull right out easy ...

any suggestions to make the lock really hold strong 

seems like your not actually tying it tight enough while doing your knot. If I had one video to suggest it would be my buddy John Cahill from ebbtide adventures. He is a well known GT guy and his video really puts an emphasis on keeping it tight through out the entire process. Once you get the hang of it, it really is not all that difficult

Rizzuto finish.

Basically a reversed / back to front uni.

Tucks the tag end of the line back towards the centre of the knot.

I've tied a lot of FGs and I've put them to the test. Last week I got snagged on something heavy out in the surf. I really wanted my FG to fail so I would not lose 50 yards of braid. I locked down my drag, wrapped the braid around the back of the reel mount, and put on leather gloves, held the line inside my gloves, and gave it absolute hell for 10 minutes. The FG didn't budge and I'm sure that was well over 50lb. of pressure. I had to snip the braid at the edge of the wash.

Instead of tying 20 half hitches and then loading the knot with pressure, do this....24 wraps, 1 half hitch to keep it locked momentarily, then switch to leather gloves or using dowels and wet the knot and load it with strong pressure. If you put all of those half hitches in before loading with pressure, the tension can't make it's way back through the entire set of coils in the actual knot. The half hitches don't make the knot work, the braided coils do. After loading all of that pressure, then continue to do 4-5 more hitch knots, and then a stopper knot and then trim. In my humble opinion, 20 half hitches are unnecessary and probably hurting the tension process needed to make the knot finger trap properly.

So I was just wondering. Has anyone ever tried a half fg and rizzuto? From what that guy said in his video, the fg pulls one way, the rizzuto the opposite. It's like a gripped double uni?

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Rizzuto finish.

That thing is crazy talk.. no way im pulling that off at night on the rocks.. looking for someway to dumb it down and still hold strong 

A drop of cyanoacrylate (crazy glue, super glue) will keep those hitches from unraveling. Also not a good fix when you're actively fishing, however. I generally tie the FG at home and pray I don't hafta replace it.

2 hours ago, Wampire said:

Instead of tying 20 half hitches and then loading the knot with pressure, do this....24 wraps, 1 half hitch to keep it locked momentarily, then switch to leather gloves or using dowels and wet the knot and load it with strong pressure. If you put all of those half hitches in before loading with pressure, the tension can't make it's way back through the entire set of coils in the actual knot. The half hitches don't make the knot work, the braided coils do. After loading all of that pressure, then continue to do 4-5 more hitch knots, and then a stopper knot and then trim. In my humble opinion, 20 half hitches are unnecessary and probably hurting the tension process needed to make the knot finger trap properly.

^^ this. The knot will survive with a single half hitch. I usually do 5 half hitches, then trim the leader tag, then a couple more, then trim the braid tag, then give it a tug and the braid tag gets buried in the half hitches. But really, the half hitches are there just to prevent the leader tag from bending out and away from the line. Then I can reel it and cast it through the guides without a problem. 

15 minutes ago, Wire For Fire said:

That thing is crazy talk.. no way im pulling that off at night on the rocks.. looking for someway to dumb it down and still hold strong 

Its actually very easy.

I use the reel handle as an anchor point, the rod acts like a bow so line tension for the actual FG knot is dead easy.

1 Half hitch, tension and then the finish. Less than a minute's work.

If I have fish fever and need a new leader NOW NOW NOW I resort to a Bob Sands.

I do 7 wraps up the leader, 7 wraps down and THEN do a figure of eight or 2 turn uni with the leader tang end over the braid main line and the tag.

20 seconds and done.

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Its actually very easy.

I use the reel handle as an anchor point, the rod acts like a bow so line tension for the actual FG knot is dead easy.

1 Half hitch, tension and then the finish. Less than a minute's work.

If I have fish fever and need a new leader NOW NOW NOW I resort to a Bob Sands.

I do 7 wraps up the leader, 7 wraps down and THEN do a figure of eight or 2 turn uni with the leader tang end over the braid main line and the tag.

20 seconds and done.

Will give it a go when i geta chance looked intense when i skimmed through it 

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Rizzuto finish.

That's what I do too, but I much prefer the PR over the FG.  That finish knot is a lot easier to tie than the actual FG knot.

Yes, I make my wraps and lock it with a hitch around the braid, tighten and finish with  3 reverse wraps around the braid and slide down. It's only needed to keep the knot from unraveling from twisting and bending. I don't bother to make hitches over the mono at all.

4 hours ago, unclebunker said:

A drop of cyanoacrylate (crazy glue, super glue) will keep those hitches from unraveling. Also not a good fix when you're actively fishing, however. I generally tie the FG at home and pray I don't hafta replace it.

i use the crazy glue trick,it works

Tried it about half dozen time worth the rizzoto finish and same thing if put alil tension on the knot pick up towards the main line few time it let's go like nothing ??? 

Gonna give it some more practice when I get the time..