Dirty Walter

I need help! Old hobie outback kayak

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just got an older model hobie outback hank Parker fisherman edition.

Can't find any serial number under the backside of the hull.

Dude who sold it to me said it was a 2011 model but I can't find anything online even remotely similar.

This one has round hatch in front and back and big rectangle hatch in the middle....

My issue is the rudder. It goes up and down but in the up position just sticks straight off of the back of the yak making loading it on my roof a very scetchy process... doesn't flip up past a horizontal angle at all, it doesn't look like it was ever even designed to.

I don't want to snap this rudder off on the cement while throwing the nose up on the back of my SUV. Any help or insight to this old rudder system greatly appreciated!

Edited by Dirty Walter

That looks like one of the first rudder systems that came out, Hobie basically used the rudder system from one of their sailing boats and adapted it for the yak.

I've seen the entire twist and stow rudder system selling for $80 or so, do some research and see if it's able to be fitted to your yak ... or maybe barrel can chime in?

that square hatch looks stock. Wonder why they did not keep that moving forward. I know many guys (including me) install square hatches on modern outbacks.  

Serial number should be starboard side,in front of the rudder at the waterline. Older models were prone to leaks in the seat scuppers and around the drive well. You could load it stern first to eliminate the rudder hitting the ground.

Its a 2005 or 2006 serial number is near the rudder on the right side, just rub dirt into the egraving to read it. I have all the old parts for it. The square hatch was added later. The hull is different then current Outbacks. That one has more rock and roll and less flotation. Note how shallow the well is. I was the one who talked Hobie into making the well deeper.

Edited by barrell

Its a 2005 or 2006 serial number is near the rudder on the right side, just rub dirt into the egraving to read it. I have all the old parts for it. The square hatch was added later. The hull is different then current Outbacks. That one has more rock and roll and less flotation. Note how shallow the well is. I was the one who talked Hobie into making the well deeper.

Will a twist and stow rudder system fit onto this hull?

Like Cheech said load it backwards. I have always loaded my kayaks with the stern toward the front of the vehicle. My seat stays folded and does not catch wind going down the road.