Okuma Makaira spinning reel

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

There is Alans review about this reel freshly out

and it is groundbreaking stuff

the only thing that is wrong with it is the drag knob novelty nonsense

what are your thoughts about that drag knob dial what not

and maybe a word or two on line roller bearing mentioned also

That was a long read. no disrespect to alan but he needs to make them smaller for easy reading. i would say okuma made the perfect reel. anodize bod and Van Staal type seals is PERFECTION. i don't really understand the drag workings completely but why not set it and forget it? i don't catch pelagic fish and maybe it's different, don't know. i think it's the perfect reel and if there was a size 6000 i would know what i am getting for Xmas. didn't know okuma was that big. i was under the impression it was a small time company.  thanks for the heads up. alans reviews never disappoints. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't mind long articles from Alan

and Alan Tani says its interesting read also :)

I`ve shown it to them on his web site

the knob is problematic because once it is set, there isn`t easy way to change the setting

so it basically makes things more complicated instead of easier

and one more mind bender is that if you confuse the order of things when changing it

it can get broken !

Edited by glos

Alan did mention the machining on the reel but didnt mention that Okuma makes CNC machines that are used all over the world. Okuma has been making machine parts for many years.

The reel is a beast but a bit heavy.

I have and use a handful of Makaira trolling reels. They are the best!

Guys I completely disagree with you in my opinion and what I using for is best drag in spinning reels. I shark fishing from Florida shores and makaira fits my needs perfectly because u can set drag 20,30,40 lbs in just one click,, in practice when shark pick up you have to let him run and swallow bait with. With big Stella's I was using before I had to hold spool to get hooked than start turn drag knob countless times to achieve drag power I needed what means I lost another 100 yards plus of line and I never was 100 % positive what exactly drag I running. In makaira I can set exactly initial drug so I know from what I starting and where I ends. Plus cranking 77" per crank I can't expect more. Sealed like my old good 275 is bonus. I landed for last few months several bulls pushing 400 and around, for now my makairas is go reels every time I hit beach that my two cents. Going to test next week on big bft on cc 

thx sharky

I believe you, and am glad to hear - read that

it means that they  really did do it for good reason and not for the novelty cause

my initial claim was obviously premature and I did it exactly because I wanted to hear things, experiences, like yours

when something isn`t forced out it gets forgotten

there is info on alans website about change that okuma made with line roller bearing

guy is amazing in what he can achieve and okuma is good with their interventions when there is a point

Most 30000 r ok looks like I was taking with Mr Hawk if I had any minor problems I didn't have anything he mentioned about his reels but he has 20 and I have 30