ksong

Goliath Grouper with 8'6" Black Hole Cape Cod popping rod by Dennis Verreet

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

Large goliath groupers should be left in the water during release. The skeletal structure of large goliath grouper cannot adequately support their weight out of the water without some type of damage. If a large goliath is brought on-board a vessel or out of the water, it is likely to sustain some form of internal injury and therefore be considered harvested.

You can't lift a 300lb+ fish and suspend it unless you have a harness. It's talking about any circumstance in which a specimen's body which is of that large size is unsupported by the neutral buoyancy that it has while in the water. While in 5 inches of water, it's technically in the water- it can't support the fish's bodyweight and therefore gravity is causing it's organs and rib bones to bear the pressure of it's muscle mass. Whether it's slid over the gunnel or laying on the beach, the principle still applies.

Large goliath groupers should be left in the water during release. The skeletal structure of large goliath grouper cannot adequately support their weight out of the water without some type of damage. If a large goliath is brought on-board a vessel or out of the water, it is likely to sustain some form of internal injury and therefore be considered harvested.

You can't lift a 300lb+ fish and suspend it unless you have a harness. It's talking about any circumstance in which a specimen's body which is of that large size is unsupported by the neutral buoyancy that it has while in the water. While in 5 inches of water, it's technically in the water- it can't support the fish's bodyweight and therefore gravity is causing it's organs and rib bones to bear the pressure of it's muscle mass. Whether it's slid over the gunnel or laying on the beach, the principle still applies.

Nevertheless, FWC Rules do not objectively define "out of the water", nor do they define "in the water". Obviously, if it is completely "on-board a vessel", it is clearly out of the water. But, what about "partially" on-board a vessel ?

"In the water" could interpreted to mean anything from "barely in contact with the water" to meaning "almost totally submerged".

The wording is much too subjective and ambiguous, in my opinion.

Edited by ez2cdave

How bout it was caught as bycatch...and Dennis decided to remove the additional jewelry that previous fishermen left behind.

If you think about it.  If you swim with a whale in the ocean..you get a fine for harassment.....But if it is stuck in netting.  You can free it.

THis was the safest way to free it.

Now I feel like levari.

Spoke with Dennis Verret about this last night, and to further clarify, there is a sharp trough that slopes off where they are fishing that is over 10ft deep making hook removal fully in the water impossible.

It also isn't 1990 anymore. Think alot of the stigma that surrounds goliaths is over 25 years old. I encounter numbers like the video all the time, and am not convinced the reasoning is how Meccalli explains it because they have taken over many spots that had a slight population not too long ago. I believe fwc management has something to due with our highly populated endangered species

Spoke with Dennis Verret about this last night, and to further clarify, there is a sharp trough that slopes off where they are fishing that is over 10ft deep making hook removal fully in the water impossible.

It also isn't 1990 anymore. Think alot of the stigma that surrounds goliaths is over 25 years old. I encounter numbers like the video all the time, and am not convinced the reasoning is how Meccalli explains it because they have taken over many spots that had a slight population not too long ago. I believe fwc management has something to due with our highly populated endangered species

Good vid, it showcases the scenario i presented earlier. Big congregations of goliath around artificial structure. It's amazing how they're happily staying there without any other grouper, snapper and lobsters to eat.

The great mystery of Goliath grouper photosynthesis.

Edited by TimS
I'm sorry but we don't allow people to join here just to bash other people - please keep your personal vendettas to yourself, thanks.

On 6/12/2017 at 4:57 PM, ksong said:

I used the ulta light rod for snapper and the goliath took the snapper what shall I do ? :)

I am sure Dennis use almost lock-down drag. I am surprised he used 8'6" Black Hole Popping rod. He must have confidence with the rods after fighing big tuna with it from the rock. He has Black Hole Cow Special rods for goliath grouper.

Some just complain everthing. It is no good for you. Be postitive and have a happy mind. :)

You can cut the line .. . . .  Long fight -death fish !