ksong

Goliath Grouper with 8'6" Black Hole Cape Cod popping rod by Dennis Verreet

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

Dennis Verreet caught a few goliath grouper using 8'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Nano popping rod in Florida.
He must have more confidence in Black Hole rods than I do as I wouldn't use the rod for monster goliath grouper. :)
86goliathgrouper_zpsz3dnvph9.jpg

I thought you were not supposed to take one of them out of the water? Either way, I would love to try to break a rod on one of them..

You're not supposed to take them from the water or even touch them.  Technically he is probably breaking the law.  I suppose one could argue that its "kinda" in the water ....

Can you imagine the fillet you would get off of one of those! I bet you a single flake of fish would be as wide as a NY steak. Like a LMB of nightmares! or dreams? I already know the answer is "no "since they are usually deep structure fish, but they ever hit on top? Can you imagine the hit. look like a stick of imploding dynamite went off on your plug. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can you imagine the fillet you would get off of one of those! I bet you a single flake of fish would be as wide as a NY steak. Like a LMB of nightmares! or dreams? I already know the answer is "no "since they are usually deep structure fish, but they ever hit on top? Can you imagine the hit. look like a stick of imploding dynamite went off on your plug. 

I`ve seen that, ny steak

and never understood how the heck they get it to be tender, especially in those sizes

then I watched some travel channel Zimmerman series and seen that it can stay for up to a month before preparing it

and those black hole rods I like more and more

if only they made them longer and heavier

they make them short and not  enough tc

like xzoga does, wouldn't be a surprise if same guys make both, since they are both good and graphite

and apropos groupers, they have been protected long enough, start eating them

Edited by glos

There is a movement going on  in Fl to open a season on the Goliath Grouper as they eat more Grouper daily than recreational fisherman catch in a year,, seen a photo of one with several hooks in lip from past break off

Dennis Verreet caught a few goliath grouper using 8'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Nano popping rod in Florida.

He must have more confidence in Black Hole rods than I do as I wouldn't use the rod for monster goliath grouper. :)

86goliathgrouper_zpsz3dnvph9.jpg[/uR]L

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/goliath-grouper/

Goliath Grouper: Epinephelus itajara

Description

The giant of the grouper family, the goliath (formerly called jewfish) has brown or yellow mottling with small black spots on the head and fins, a large mouth with jawbones that extend well past its small eyes, and a rounded tail. It also has five dark body bands or stripes that are most visible on young goliath.

Catching and Releasing Goliath Grouper

What to do when you’ve caught a goliath grouper?

◾Harvest and possession has been prohibited in both state and federal waters off Florida since 1990.

◾Must be immediately returned to the water free, alive and unharmed.

◾Photographs can be taken but only during the active act of release. Photographs or any other activities such as measuring the fish should not delay release in any way.

◾Large goliath groupers should be left in the water during release. The skeletal structure of large goliath grouper cannot adequately support their weight out of the water without some type of damage. If a large goliath is brought on-board a vessel or out of the water, it is likely to sustain some form of internal injury and therefore be considered harvested.

◾Removing smaller goliath groupers from the water to remove hooks is not necessarily a bad practice, but this process must be done with care, using proper fish handling techniques, and the fish must be returned to the water as expeditiously as possible.

◾Learn more about Fish Handling and maximizing fish survival when practicing catch and release.

Super fish he got there. Not sure if I wouldn't try to take pictures myself. If he was surf fishing, the water level can be deceiving, as the waves wash back and forth. That fish could be dangerous to unhook in deep water. There is a video of one swallowing a six foot shark whole. The game commission is actually considering a season for harvesting now. Of course you wouldn't want to eat THAT ONE.

and those black hole rods I like more and more

if only they made them longer and heavier

they make them short and not  enough tc

like xzoga does, wouldn't be a surprise if same guys make both, since they are both good and graphite

I believe Xzoga rods are made in China and our Black Hole USA rods are made in Korea.

We have 9'2" to 10' rods. All rods have Nano carbon except a 7'6" and 8' popping rods.

They obviously don't care about the fishing regulations or laws, they just want to sell rods.

Here is my catch of 150lb goliath grouper with tiny 3.8 oz Black Hole Cape Cod Tai Special rod in Dry Torgugas. I loved to bring the fish to the boat and take pidtures. But I released the fish on the water.

Dennis technically was on the water.

post-7239-0-33394100-1497274248.jpg

Edited by ksong