TheKnot

Who are the Yankee's putting the wood on tonight

Rate this topic

16,020 posts in this topic

One note on Larsen's game: It was thrown on Oct 8, 1956; I was born about 2 weeks later. I wonder if *I* was the reason my Dad didn't go? I tend to think not, it was probably some other more seemingly important conflict LOL.

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, robtf said:

My brother has two balls: 1 a signed Mickey Mantle ball and 2 a ball signed by all the American League umpires of that year (which was around 1966). We went to the stadium on Bobby Richardson day and got to meet and shake hands with Bobby outside the Yankee locker room, Mantle wouldn't come out but signed a ball for my dad's friend, Nestor Chylak, which we got. Don't know why we never got Bobby to sign anything, or if we did I never saw it.

Somewhere, either my sister or brother have an unused ticket to Larsen's perfect world series game.  My dad got a ticket to go but for some reason was unable to attend. I think my brother has that one, but perhaps my sister has it.

Like Charlie Brown at Halloween: I got a rock.

If I remember correctly Nestor was family umpire friend ? 

Edited by Hook I

5 mins ago, Hook I said:

If I remember correctly Nestor was family umpire friend ? 

My dad umpired, up to Newark Bears level, some other teams in the area at that time as well, and had a shot at the majors, which he turned down.

He umpired at some level until he was knocked down by health in his early 70's. Did the works of beer leagues, college, high school, little league, you name it at one point or another.

6 mins ago, robtf said:

My dad umpired, up to Newark Bears level, some other teams in the area at that time as well, and had a shot at the majors, which he turned down.

He umpired at some level until he was knocked down by health in his early 70's. Did the works of beer leagues, college, high school, little league, you name it at one point or another.

They worked hard for the money … it was a game back then 

8 mins ago, robtf said:

I knew a guy who did our game ( American Legion  ) at home plate going over the ground rules , he asked “ any questions ?  I replied “ can you see that foul pole out in left field “ I got a stare that could kill :laugh: 

6 hours ago, Hook I said:

Ok so get your season tickets to the Nets instead 

I stopped watching the NBA when Patrick Ewing missed the fingertip roll instead of slamming the ball down the Bulls throat!

Well that was not a good start to this road trip ,seems Holmes could not find the “ seams” on the ball in the 8th . 

This team seems to be unraveling. When was the last time we won a series against a winning team?

SOLD AT ALL MY TED WILLIAMS AND REDSOX signed stuff. team balls, bats from Ted,100'of photos from 1958 . Team signed balls from 1946 -1968. Personal letters about fishing and his helping son with baseball. Mostly that he and Capt Jack Brothers were in the guide boat lineup for both parents who were cremated and spreads at our favorite bonefish spot.The sports auction house did great, money went into 529 funds years ago. Each of 2 grandsons have 2/3 colleges paid.

IMG_1690.jpg

2 hours ago, robtf said:

This team seems to be unraveling. When was the last time we won a series against a winning team?

I'm fearing it's the beginning of the end for the Yankess.

43 mins ago, RAW said:

SOLD AT ALL MY TED WILLIAMS AND REDSOX signed stuff. team balls, bats from Ted,100'of photos from 1958 . Team signed balls from 1946 -1968. Personal letters about fishing and his helping son with baseball. Mostly that he and Capt Jack Brothers were in the guide boat lineup for both parents who were cremated and spreads at our favorite bonefish spot.The sports auction house did great, money went into 529 funds years ago. Each of 2 grandsons have 2/3 colleges paid.

IMG_1690.jpg

Ted Williams headlines my 1956 Red Sux autographed ball. I'll never get rid of it, my dad gave it to me.

1 hour ago, RAW said:

IMG_1690.jpg

so you're a closet Sox fan?

43 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

I'm fearing it's the beginning of the end for the Yankess..............

Negatory.

It's just a bad month.  It happens.

3 mins ago, unskunk said:

so you're a closet Sox fan?

It’s going to be a great story I enjoy reading it again .. standing by 

Late scratch of Rizzo last night ( back ) nagging injuries( April 3-4 days )  do come with the season  in August ,hope he can rest it out  Stanton back next series maybe ?Monty against us tonight Benitendi still not comfortable at the plate alot of BB sounds like someone we all ready have. I noticed a lot of late swings with LF outs & nothing sharp of hard hits

4 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Negatory.

It's just a bad month.  It happens.

Is it just a bad month or are we starting to see the real Yankees????

I hope you're right Joey, I just don't have confidence in this team. Way too many low batting average hitters. Do we have any hitting over 300? Judge floats around 300 and one of the deadline guys I believe is, the rest are 250 and lower.