Who are the Yankee's putting the wood on tonight

Rate this topic

TheKnot

34 mins ago, robtf said:

You do that back then and you get drilled in the back or worse next at bat :D

I didn’t guess Lopez even with the hints. Didn’t start paying attention until ‘65 or so, being born in ‘56.

Nice quiz though :D

Hector played left field ,which the yanks used as a Platoon position under Casey, Right field before 1960 was also platoon with Bauer and Slaughter left was Lopex, Cerv, Howard, or Woodling , or whoever Casey had on the team at the time. Of course Mickey played every day unless he was injured.

49 mins ago, Hammerheadman said:

Hector played left field ,which the yanks used as a Platoon position under Casey, Right field before 1960 was also platoon with Bauer and Slaughter left was Lopex, Cerv, Howard, or Woodling , or whoever Casey had on the team at the time. Of course Mickey played every day unless he was injured.

Yeah, I was just starting to understand what my dad used to tell me about the team.  My earliest Yankee memory was going to Bobby Richardson day, Mick played a little (might have just pinched hit or came out early). My dad was friends with Nestor Chylak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Chylak) , who got us down to the Yankee clubhouse after the game (not inside) where we shook hands with Bobby.  Nestor got Mick to autograph a baseball (my brother has it) as well as a ball with all the American League umpires.

As to Nestor, not 100% sure where my dad and he became friends. Think he was Slovak like we were and that might have been the connection. Or I know my Dad umpired semi-pro and they might have crossed paths there.

From The Grand State of South Jersey

So after the backlash from the public NOW the Yankees and MLB will refund season ticket money $  up to April , their original plan was no refund but those deposits were going to be applied to the 2021 season .... bad publicity sells ! 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

1 hour ago, Hook I said:

So after the backlash from the public NOW the Yankees and MLB will refund season ticket money $  up to April , their original plan was no refund but those deposits were going to be applied to the 2021 season .... bad publicity sells ! 

they're still getting bashed for this.

what about May? or beyond?

if there's no baseball then refund the $

13 years ago

The 2007 Yankees were in rough shape in early May, and the Steinbrenners had had enough. Injuries had decimated and already-thin rotation, and the team was just 13-15 on May 6. The team needed a shakeup.

Still, nobody saw this coming. Roger Clemens had retired from baseball for the second time after 2006 at age 44, yet there he was at Yankee Stadium on May 6, 2007, in George Steinbrenner’s box. During the seventh inning stretch, Clemens took the mic and told the crowd that the Yankees had “gotten him out of Texas” and he’d be coming back to pitch for the Yankees. He didn’t come cheap, costing over $1 million per start.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:01 AM, robtf said:

Yeah, I was just starting to understand what my dad used to tell me about the team.  My earliest Yankee memory was going to Bobby Richardson day, Mick played a little (might have just pinched hit or came out early). My dad was friends with Nestor Chylak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Chylak) , who got us down to the Yankee clubhouse after the game (not inside) where we shook hands with Bobby.  Nestor got Mick to autograph a baseball (my brother has it) as well as a ball with all the American League umpires.

As to Nestor, not 100% sure where my dad and he became friends. Think he was Slovak like we were and that might have been the connection. Or I know my Dad umpired semi-pro and they might have crossed paths there.

I didn’t have the time to read about your dads friend Nestor . The friendship of baseball people especially west of NJ is just a different part of big baseball history, did’t understand how big until I went to St Louis.  Thanks for sharing 

On this day Yankee history

2014Yankee right fielder Alfonso Soriano becomes only the seventh player to collect a thousand hits in both leagues when he singles off Mets starter Bartolo Colon in the bottom of the second inning of the team's 9-7 loss at the Bronx ballpark. The 38 year-old Dominican outfielder, who is also the first major leaguer to record 100 HRs, 500 RBIs, 500 runs, and 100 RBIs in each circuit, joins Frank Robinson, Dave Winfield, Vladimir Guerrero, Fred McGriff, Orlando Cabrera, and Carlos Lee in reaching the milestone. 

Ex-Yankees World Series title-winning GM Bob Watson dead at 74

Former Yankees player and general manager Bob Watson died at the age of 74 in his Houston home on Thursday night after a long battle with kidney disease, according to the Astros.

Watson was the Yankees general manager from 1995 to 1998, a tenure that included leading the Bombers to a World Series title in 1996, their first championship since 1978. He also played for the Bombers for three seasons from 1980 to 1982.

Watson was primarily a first baseman and left fielder throughout his 19-year major league career, which began in 1969, including the first 14 with the Astros.

The two-time All-Star, who retired in 1984, also posted solid offensive numbers during his career. Watson, who played for the Braves in his final three seasons, was a career .295 hitter with 184 homers and 989 RBIs. He also banged out 1,826 hits.

Watson also was a clutch postseason performer, hitting .371 in 17 career postseason games. With the Astros, he hit .297 with 139 homers and 782 RBIs.

After he retired, Watson began coaching and helped the 1988 Oakland Athletics win the American League pennant as the hitting coach for the likes of Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. Watson, whose career in baseball spanned more than six decades, was named general manager of the Astros in 1993, becoming the first African American to hold the title of GM in the major leagues.

“This is a very sad day for the Astros and for all of baseball,” the Astros said in a statement. “Bob Watson enjoyed a unique and remarkable career in Major League Baseball that spanned six decades, reaching success at many different levels, including as a player, coach, general manager and MLB executive.”

Watson later worked for Major League Baseball as the vice president overseeing discipline and rules and on-field operations before retiring in 2010.

He is survived by his wife, Carol, his daughter, Kelley, and his son, Keith.

In front of nearly 50,000 fans on Beanie Baby Day at Yankee Stadium, David Wells retires all 27 batters he faces, defeating the Twins, 4-0. It is only the 13th perfect game in modern major league history.

Boomer was one who would not shake off a catcher wonder if it happened that day ?  Interesting 

been to alot of Bronx games in the old stadium growing memories , up but this one was special.  #1 son surprised us with 5 seats for  me , the big boss, his best friend = best man & his dad . Derek Jeter last game home game  ( new stadium )  of a career that can't be matched in my lifetime . Yes I drove while they drank beer with no complaints . 

Edited by Hook I

• 4 weeks later...

Back when we all heard the season was on hold , not many thought it was going to be this long . Even if it continues things will never be the same, life goes on as the saying goes. Days are getting longer and weather is getting hot . Signaling for me that special Yankees game before the day game  If the old timers game is not played it could signal the official season is lost . It’s been a special day for decades for many . In the Bronx the list is long of history and it’s players for young and old to enjoy It will surely be missed . Life goes on 

16 mins ago, robtf said:

It's getting harder for me to care about any sports.

I'm amazed at how much I don't really miss it all that much at all.  With all the political drama going on, there's more than enough on tv to make me forget about baseball.

From what I hear, Judge is STILL hurt, so to some extent, who cares anyway.  Looks like he lining up to be a bust due to injuries that will just never, ever, end.