Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJFish

Question--LI Sound (NY)

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone:

new to surf fishing and I am planning to hit the sound this weekend.

Planning on using a nine foot rod, but alot of the articles I've been reading also suggest freshwater gear similar to what I would use for fw bass; any thoughts?

What can I expect out there this time of year and what should I be using to on the other end of the line?

best sort of rig??

Any help would be great--thanks!

I would say not to use undersize gear for the salt, don't know what type of rod you have but 9 to 10 foot is probably the right length.

Of course if you get into a 10 lb blue you'll think whatever size tackle you're using is undersized.

I fish the North shore of LI a lot and use a nine foot rod usually. Most of what I've found lately has been schoolies, so lighter gear would work fine for them too. Storms are an old standby, and small poppers are producing well too. But you can expect some blues will probably give you some entertainment as well on tins and poppers.

I would like to go after bass (fluke my second choice), but hear that its not to great and I'm better off going for blues.

In any case; my choice would be bass and i would prefer to use a lure. Any suggestions on location (where they tend to hang out), lure? set-up?