RetiredLearning2ThinkFish

Plantar Fasciitis; what to wear?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I like the exercise of walking and love sight-fishing snook when doing so on warm, sunny FL beaches. Likewise, getting to spots on CC (esp given parking) when chasing stripers. But, I'm using sneaker inserts due to plantar fasciitis and curious if any of you have suggestions for walking about(???). P.S. I don't do Rocks; one bad, bloody experience cured me of that.

Ive had flat feet all my life and have to use rx orthotics.  Nike's are way to narrow for my feet.  Even New Balance have been making their shoes narrower lately.  SoftScience shoes have saved me.  They allowed me to walk much further than normal and dry crazy fast.  Their wading boot is just as comfortable as their deck/water shoes.  Founded by one of the inventors of the croc.  They have been the only shoe in over a decade that I can order sight unseen and in my actual size because of their generous toe box.  

I had it.  Its a pain in the assss.   In the morning when you wake up and put your foot on the ground , you can feel it tear.   I went to the doctor and he gave me a brace to wear at night.   He told me about these V[onic  shoes and  and flip flop sandals that are great.  If you go to the Vionic site (· orthoticshop.com/Vionic)you will see these shoes . they are made for plantar fasciitis and on the site they explain it all.  I like the sandals that are called the Wave.  It will explain it all. I didn't putt the www. in the address . You can find them for about 45 to 50 dollars a pair when on sale.   They have a great arch and really help  I wouldn't steer you wrong.  ccb

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks gents. Have any of you tried pacing plastic/waterproof insoles/inserts into flats boots? Been using a brace, stretching properly now, doing exercises, icing as needed, and no longer walk anywhere barefoot. I've found that the "Hoka" brand has a sneaker (among many) with my needed high arch support and soft/padded sole from heel-to-toe that's suited for walking & running but not lateral movements--e.g. tennis or basketball. *** P.S. Just noticed that SoftScience has a new, 2017, "wading boot built for fly fishing". Hmmmm?

Edited by RetiredLearning2ThinkFish

Just went through it, due largely to my habit of wearing boat shoes everywhere, at all times of the year.  Wasn't a good idea when I had to navigate between 160 and 200 stairs going to and returning from the office every day.

So I ended up wearing real shoes and favoring my right foot, which was the one afflicted.  That messed up my right knee.  Then I started favoring my right knee, and messed up my left knee.  

No structural damage, just unhappy tendons, so a combination of ibuprofen and simple Dr. Scholl inserts in the shoes, along with elastic braces on my knees when I'm going to put a lot of stress on them, along with exercises to increase flexibility.

Still trying to figure out what to wear in non-work situations, which is fairly important given that I quit my day job last Wednesday.

* P.S. Just noticed that SoftScience has a new, 2017, "wading boot built for fly fishing". Hmmmm?

They are excellent.  All their shoes have been great for me.  Allowed me to return to more bank fishing quicker I think.  I had all but given up on being able to walk and stand for any length of time.  While it is the most expensive choice, RX orthotics are the best medicine along with the stretches the podiatrist gives you. I'm a big guy, have wide feet, flat feet all my life and have a ruptured tendon in my right foot after a fight and like I said the softscience shoes have helped me as much as the doctor did.

There are some exercises that help - easy to google them

+1 My wife had PF and did the wake up and evening exercises that I found on YouTube and was good-to-go in 2-3 weeks.

+1 My wife had PF and did the wake up and evening exercises that I found on YouTube and was good-to-go in 2-3 weeks.

THis is what I did.  Also had to stop wearing flip flops altogether as well.   I wear keen water shoes when wet wading

Thanks gents. Have any of you tried pacing plastic/waterproof insoles/inserts into flats boots? Been using a brace, stretching properly now, doing exercises, icing as needed, and no longer walk anywhere barefoot. I've found that the "Hoka" brand has a sneaker (among many) with my needed high arch support and soft/padded sole from heel-to-toe that's suited for walking & running but not lateral movements--e.g. tennis or basketball. *** P.S. Just noticed that SoftScience has a new, 2017, "wading boot built for fly fishing". Hmmmm?

I use orthotics in stocking foot waders with wading boots.  Have not tried them in flats boots yet, but I am sure I will before long.

I use two pair of socks when I use them.  I put on a thin pair first and then use a thicker sock over the orthotic so it is held in place between the socks.  I think this helps to prevent any damage to the stocking foot of the waders from rubbing by the orthotic.  I would not want to place the orthotic outside the stocking foot wader where it could get abraded by sand.

Good luck,

Ted

PF sux, had it for the past 20+ years. Lifelong flattish feet. Had a bunionectomy on one foot that helped. 

I use Keen sandals nearly exclusively 

I have custom orthotics in my dress shoes. 

I have Superfeet insoles in almost all of my casual shoes (green and orange with high arches) including my Merrill slipins at the office (standing desk)

I use patagonia flats boots and Redington water shoes for wet wading and have Powerstep insoles I use in those. 

I chose the Powerstep because they appear to be the toughest short of a fully molded orthotic. I have one pair that I move back and forth between the two shoes and they have held up thus far. I make certain to pull them out after every outing, rinse them thoroughly and let dry fully. Keeps the funkaroma at bay. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045E5KCA

The only place I don't use an insole is in stocking foot waders and that's because my old Simms boots are too tight. Next boots will be a full size larger to accommodate an insole, likely the Powerstep. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are 2 very different schools of thought with regard to plantar fasciitis, one advocates orthotics (most podiatrists) and the other says to avoid them at all costs (holistic - see sockdoc). 

I have heard that birkenstocks can be very helpful although I'm not sure what they have that can handle being in the water.

Good luck.  I've had it and it sucks.

Edited by Surfrat666

I developed it from walking barefoot while on vacation a couple of years ago. Do the YouTube exercises, wear the inserts one set for each pair of shoes you wear and avoid walking barefoot. It's hard surfaces that aggravate it.