WhitePerch

Keeping a fishing log

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I've seen it said that keeping a fishing log is vital, so I'm wondering what conditions you guys make note of when keeping a log, aside from tide? And if you wanted to share some notable entries into your logs that'd be appreciated

location, landmarks - bearings, wind, swell / wave height-direction, water temp, air temp, pressure, moon phase, bait / lures, catches - observations

whatever you want really, but the conditions, environmental factors youre looking at when deciding where, when, and how to fish

Location, times (start and stop), tides, water temp, weather (wind, temp, conditions, pressure, pressure rise/fall), moon phase and %, number of fish, types of fish, sizes of fish.

Do you notate popularity of the spots (other fisherman) or fee's if needed for parking etc as well?  Stupid questions but just curious if anybody does.

the size of tides is very helpful, the size and directions of swells, and wind directions are great pieces to have.  Some spots fish better with more or less water, some are unfishable when tides are to big or too low.  Water temps help in spring and fall.

I've kept a log for about 12yrs., before that it was always memory. The log has helped alot in many cases and has been successful about 75% of the time. Fish move if the bait moves and IMO structure and current are most important. I've caught bass in all types of weather, snow, rain, sweltering heat even on bluebird days but one thing that coincided with my logs on successful outings was  the current and specific areas with structure.

A lot of times we get excited when getting to a spot and its hard to remember, so i always screenshot my weather app when i arrive and leave to note the change in the conditions....I log everything on my phone so I also attach whatever picture I took that day to my notes

I focus on tidal stage, wind direction and weather. There are other things I note, but those three factors tend to reveal trends in activity.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Log as much information as you can in a book. I've gone as far as building an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the data (idea was stolen from a fellow SOL member on a different thread. I actually think it was xjclint)

Edited by deadxringer

I would add that daylight comes in different flavors ie: Bright Day Light, Overcast Day, Dark Day, Very Early Day, Sunrise, Sunset. And the same can be said about the dark, how dark?

Peace

tide, time, moon phase, water temp, air temp, wind direction and speed, location, water clarity, sky condition, bait used, results, company.

Posted (edited) · Report post

the size of tides is very helpful, the size and directions of swells, and wind directions are great pieces to have. Some spots fish better with more or less water, some are unfishable when tides are to big or too low. Water temps help in spring and fall.

So true

It's worthwhile to be as descriptive as possible. More data will enable you to discover trends or tendancies which will make your fishing more productive

Edited by captahab416