FunkyBunker

June 2017 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

485 posts in this topic

Fish out front MoCo from about 4am til 6:30am.  Beautiful white water, looked perfect. 

Picked one 5lb blue and that wasn't until 20 mins after sunrise.  

Slayer I believe I was on the beach watching the same thing. Hundreds of dolphins all over the place jumping, and surfing waves. Maybe a mile north of the bathing beaches.

Did it ever start? Not for me. No stripes for me since march in backbay. Do you reqlly thunk they are all gone?

This season has been a little off. April started the same as usual but temps stayed cooler and with bass it's about 10-14 days behind what is was the past few years. I'm not sure what's going on up north, but you guys should normally be getting more than me. Last years final bass (keeper sized and last spring bass caught altogether) for me was May 20. I got nothing after than except small blues. Yesterdays fish and the other keeper i saw get pulled out proved my theory of the run being behind a little bit. I don't think they are gone, they may just be hanging a little further off shore in some areas same thing that happens here in the fall. Maybe look at the times and locations you go out. I've only caught like 2 short bass after 6:15am this year. On days i've gone out from 5:30-8pm i've only caught blues.  

Surf is starting to settle down a bit so conditions this morning not as good as they have been the past couple of days.  Still rolling a bit, but not as much white water.  Did a lot of walking today looking for fish and was only able to pull out a 19 incher using the Vision.  Also found a 4 or 5lb blue that chopped my Vision in half, ARGH!  Didn't see any bait around, bird action, dolphins and even the bunker spotter plane left the area.

post-42633-0-65717600-1496410670.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Local24 SSP, did you see an AR240 Yamaha jet boat floating around in the middle of them? I was only a few hundred yards off shore!

I ssume they were hammering bunker because they were circling something.

Edited by Slayer196204

its sad to say but it appears i missed the run *again*

There is tons of bunker every night in the rivers so what is going to eat them?

Goldy don't feel bad, I fished more nights then I didn't in May and i had one bass all month. Butt tons of bluefish but one lone bass. By this time usually I would have put together a pretty decent season. This year was way off and the fish are and were not in the places they have been in years past. And when there were bass in those spots they were slim pickins. There where no "bites" that i could find or pattern. Very unusual year. April was decent...

Did it ever start? Not for me. No stripes for me since march in backbay. Do you reqlly thunk they are all gone?

Water temps at Sandy Hook are 64 degrees as of right this minute - so no, it's not over yet

Will all the mass of fish that are out beyond the 3 mile line come close to shore is another question

Water temps at Sandy Hook are 64 degrees as of right this minute - so no, it's not over yet

Will all the mass of fish that are out beyond the 3 mile line come close to shore is another question

Thanks.. i'm getting highly discouraged for sure... If I go to sandy hook at 5am, will they charge me to go in and fish now that its in season for an hour or two?

Not even a blue.... Last night front to back in MOCO. Good looking white water with slight northwesterly wind. Threw the entire arsenal without a tap. 

Slayer I was watching them bright and early, around 6-630. Only boat that I can remember watching the dolphins was a blue hulled pilot house. I was off the beach by 7am that morning.

Hit the back Bay Area behind Brigantine and Atlantic City this morning from 6-1000. Drifting squid and gulp for flounder. Water temp read 68. Calm but had to power drift most of the time due to the wind. No hits. No fish. Didn't see anything pulled up around me either. Beats work

what is the 3 mile line. this is like the 4th time I have heard that phrase. I am new to ocean boating and don't know the terms. I have 30 plus years on lake Hopatcong boating but moved down the shore a couple years ago