North of Portland 2017

Rate this topic

My Striped Bass season started off today with me catching (and releasing) 22 fish using the same fly. They were all caught during the first two hours of incoming tide, on a small chartreuse and white clouser minnow fly, fished off a beach that is reasonably close to the Bath/Brunswick area. While most of the fish I caught today were on the small side they were all feisty enough to put up a decent fight on the 8-weight fly rod that I was using.

All in all it wasn't a bad way to spend a few hours on a misty/rainy day.

From a fishing perspective, I pretty much had the whole beach all to myself.

While the prospect of catching fish isn’t the only reason I love being on the water, it is one of the best excuses I have for continuing to go there.

A few pics from yesterday to satisfy the "No Pictures It Didn't Happen Crowd"

I wanted  to take a few more but it was too much of a pain in the posterior to use my cell phone/camera while trying to protect it from the rain.  

Beside that,...

I really hate dragging small fish up on the sand just to take a picture.  

post-61929-0-36966200-1496324482.jpg

post-61929-0-78701400-1496324522.jpg

post-61929-0-33479400-1496324574.jpg

Edited by Crozzbow

While the prospect of catching fish isn’t the only reason I love being on the water, it is one of the best excuses I have for continuing to go there.

Got up at the crack of dawn this morning and headed out to a fishing spot that is located a little further north west than the spots I usually fish this time of year. I fished hard all morning long but, sad to say, I didn’t hook into one striped bass. However, the morning wasn’t a total loss in that I did locate a school (or two) of a fish species (Black Crappie) that is invasive to Maine and invited a dozen of them home for a fish fry.

I'm really hoping to hit the salt sometime in the upcoming week.

And yes, that is not my yellow kayak. With all the selfies, I plan to take and post on this forum, I decided to get a new yak in a color that matched my beard.

post-61929-0-51368800-1496521795.jpg

post-61929-0-35837700-1496521824.jpg

Edited by Crozzbow

Nice Yak...New Zealand make?

.How do you like it?

Surg

I’m still getting used to it. 

I have only had it on the water a half a dozen times to date.

However, the more I use it the better I like it. 

I find it to be fast and stable and it seems to glide forever after each paddle stroke.

It also handles well in windy/choppy conditions.

About the only thing that I haven't liked about the yak is the factory placement of the recessed rod holders.

I ended up having to add a few more rod holders in locations that are more to my liking.

The big test will be catching striped bass out of it. If I have my way shouldn’t be too long in coming.

DEJA VU

Another rainy day and another bunch of striped bass caught (and released) on fly fishing tackle.

I fished the last three hours of this afternoon's outbound tide from same beach as I did last week using the same 8-weight flyrod and Clouser minnow combo that caught fish for me on that outing.

Although I did not catch as many fish this time around, the final count for the afternoon was still in the double digits and there were a couple of twenty inch plus fish in today’s mix that were not there last week

I took the new kayak out for some striped bass fishing this morning. All things considered it performed reasonably well. The whole day was spent checking out the various locations where I have been fairly successful at catching striped bass in the past.  The days fishing consisted of trolling two of my standard tube and worm rigs. One of the tubes was wine colored tube and the other one was bubblegum colored.  I only made a couple of sweeps through each location then moved on to the next location. In order to cover as much territory as I could in one day the moves were made whether fish were being caught or not.  

As it turned out, it wasn’t that bad of a move in that enough of the targeted fish species were caught to make the days outing worthwhile. Most of those fish were small but, towards the end of the day I hooked, landed, and released three 25 inch plus fish.  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get a picture of them out on the water.

In case you are wondering how i did it,...

I just straddled the kayak with my legs hanging in the water on both sides..  What I didn't take into consideration with that maneuver was the pissed off fish, with a hook still in its jaw,  trying really hard to swat me in my nether region with his tail.

I really got to fix that problem.

post-61929-0-37284400-1496877833.jpg