shark lobster

Loading a redfin

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

some prefer less, but typical load is 10 grams (bb's or bird shot), or 10 cc's (water or mineral oil) 

if you load a "finished" lure to over 1.5 ounces they simply don't swim right.  1.4 oz. fully dressed seems to have optimal balance of casting benefits and still a nice wiggle in the water

I loaded mine with mineral oil up until the lip sits just parallel to water. It has more of wiggle like sp minnow now. Not sure if i overdid it. 

Ty you sir i was hopeing you or Steve would give some insight , dressed out with #2 vmc,s? To get it to 1.4

I do a mixed bag of hook arrangements- sometimes 3/0 VMC's both front & tail hooks, sometimes 3/0 front, 2/0 rear, sometimes 3/0 front, dressed 5/0 siwash rear, sometimes "canal style" cut 3/0 front hook on swivel with just a flag tail...they all work and all have their time & place & typically come out within a couple grams of each other

I think I am going to go with the "canal style" with flag tail configuration more often than not this year after my results so far- most any fish worth their salt will be taking the lead hook anyway and its 3 less points to potentially stick myself with, which I have a propensity to do at least once a season :cool:

I like them floating slow on top

Pellets don't evaporate

As long as it isn't over loaded above recommended specs they'll all float.  And if they are properly sealed Mineral Oil will not evaporate either (it can make a mess in your bag if it leaks though).  I would recommend a dab of CA glue on all hook hangers and nose ring prior to fishing them if you are loading with any substance.

Not to push anyone to another publication, but Zeno's magazine had a great article a couple issues back by Dave Anderson testing out the various loading options for the 7" redfin (H2O, Mineral Oil, Hg, BB's, Bird Shot, "Red Dot" Factory load), the action result of the load, and their cast-ability.   

I've always used 10cc's of water. Sooner or later they will all leak regardless of what you load them with, and in my experience the leak usually isn't at the hole where you loaded. Fighting and unhooking fish puts a lot of stress on the hook hangers and that's where a lot of the leaks will happen. Either the liquid you've loaded with (if you've used liquid) will leak out causing the plug to loose weight or saltwater will get in causing the plug to gain weight and sink or run too deep. I always carry at least 2 incase I pull a hook hanger or get a leaker. Mine are rigged with VMC 3/0 on the front 2/0 on the back. It's one of the few plugs I ALWAYS carry.

We used to load them until they floated almost vertical with the nose up like a pencil popper, they swim in a very enticing way. Lately i have been removing the tail hooks from all my swimming plugs for better action and less trouble releasing a fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weighting a 7" Red fin with 10 or 11 ccs of water is probably the easiest method. I like 11 ccs of water and a 3/0 VMC 4x treble on the belly and a 2/0 VMC 4X treble on the rear. I like to put a drop of super glue around the nose and hook hangers to prevent leakage. I have done very well with Red fins modified this way over the years. They do leak though after a while. Some quicker than others. Red fins weighted with mercury ( ala Campo or XMBX)  are excellent too if  you can find them.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weighting a 7" Red fin with 10 or 11 ccs of water is probably the easiest method. I like 11 ccs of water and a 3/0 VMC 4x treble on the belly and a 2/0 VMC 4X treble on the rear. I like to put a drop of super glue around the nose and hook hangers to prevent leakage. I have done very well with Red fins modified this way over the years. They do leak though after a while. Some quicker than others. Red fins weighted with mercury ( ala Campo or XMBX)  are excellent too if  you can find them.

Any one using mercury to load needs to have there conscious checked out , for all of the damage it will do should the lure break to the environment :howdy:

Edited by Angler #1

What putty and Steve said. I load mine with 10cc of mineral oil or water. Due to trebles opening up on me last year, I beefed up the hooks to mustad 5x trebles to start the season. Unfortunately, they were too heavy, and killed the action of the plug. Went back to vmc 4x, 3/0 belly, 2/0 tail. Will load some new ones with less liquid and try the mustads again. As long as they cast pretty well, and still have the nice wiggle when swimming, you'll be good to go Chuck.