831Hadooken

Fly Fishing the Surf...im thinking about trying it

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Yes, I'm thinking about "trying" to fly fish the surf.  I know its going to be a lot of trial and error, but always fun learning something new.  I dunno what it is, but I just feel like I have to try it.

Any tips or gear anyone would like to suggest for a newbie.  I know there's a whole fly fishing forum, but just wanted to ask the west coast folks first.

thanks,

Richard

I've been doing it for the last few years and really dig it. Was fishing Pacifica and SF primarily where the surf was real rough and it was a real challenge but lots of fun and satisfying when a good cast was made.  I've recently moved to the Santa Cruz area and the surf is by far more negotiable.  

Double hauling is for sure something to know.

You defiantly need a stripping basket and line handling skills

Shooting heads have been what I've been using 6 and 8 wt- T8 - T14 with that a new casting style. 

A good rod warranty to go with the shooting heads.  I've broken my rod 3 times with big clousers. 

Lots of Patience.

I'll say if your a flyfisher in general, theres nothing like the feel of the line shooting thu your guides and "hitting" the reel when you cast all the line out of your basket.  That is the BEST!!

Good luck

Posted (edited) · Report post

Shooting head...lead core on mono runner to cut through the wind and water column.....double haul is essential....you're also going to need a stripping basket of some sort...which is probably more essential than the double haul.  min 7 to 9 weight to cut through the wind. ....and sinking patterns.  target the beach lip.  line management is key. strong line management will let you hit your targets and you'll actually get to fish.....poor line management and you'll spend the majority of your trip undoing tangles and stripping in 15ft cast.

pick your days...and use wind reports.

for starters,  if you're not comfy with casting a fly rig...i'd start with a smaller wt rod with the same set up for surf perch. you're going to learn really quickly there are new challenges to face that you don't normally deal with while plugging...for example....stripped in line........  and some eye protection....x/0 hooks flying back towards you...coupled with wind is a sobering thought.

do it man!  it's really fun.  

Edited by snapoffmode

not many of us on the West Coast. I love fly fishing the surf but it's not the most effective way to catch a striper. I will fly fish if the conditions allow, and spin fish if the surf and wind are too gnarly. 

+1 on the recommendation to fish for perch as a way to learn the ropes. the other day we got into a frenzy of small perch in the shorebreak and I landed 24 on my 5w trout rod. that's how I spell F-U-N!

Hi Folks,

I had to decipher everyone's comments a little  :lock: Even the lingo is different in the fly world lol.

***shooting heads...im guessing that's the type of fly line that is heavier...do they all come with the lead core?

***regarding shooting heads...what is the T8-T14 for?

Below is what i was thinking about getting so far from all that i have read, searched, watched on youtube, and what my budget will allow:

-Rod:  Redington Dually 7wt, 13ft. lifetime warranty, $249.95...I chose the 7 wt since its sorta in the middle of 6-9wt.  Also, I like that it's a two hander with that little bit of handle on the bottom.  Is 13 ft too long?

-Reel:  Allen Kraken Model 3 is 7wt-9wt, lifetime warranty, $229.00...read some good reviews of this reel.

Both seem to be from reputable companies, great features, and a lot of bang for the buck so to say.

Sorry guys that I'm all over the place, but what do you guys think?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im not familiar with those rods, but if your thinking about swinging a two handed rod, I'd look into beulah fly rods they have two handed specific surf rods in the lengths you are looking at.  I've found some set ups used last time I was looking at them, but i chose to stay with my 10' single hand rods just cause I did not want to get in to the light weight by grain game (think spey casting).  Shooting heads are specific types of line that are roughly 30' +- depending on what wt rod your using they are then followed by the shooting line.  Typically you would cast the shooting head and the shooting line follows the head during the release of your head.  This is where your casting bucket / hip basket and line control comes in. *   Too much info to list shoot me a PM and we can talk or if you want to go out some time let me know.  I've got some extra set ups.

J. Ice

Edited by TimS
Please don't send people who are asking questions here to other sites - the folks here can answer any questions - and please don't post commercial links, they are not allowed

@831 this is just one man's opinion... Stay away from shooting heads and two handed rod until after you have fished in the surf for a year or so. They might give you more distance, but it gets complicated. Start with a one handed rod and a sinking line Type 3. Line weight 6-8. Go heavier for the bigger flies. You will need a stripping basket... I use one I made from a supermarket shopping basket. Do the research... Google is your friend.

@831 this is just one man's opinion... Stay away from shooting heads and two handed rod until after you have fished in the surf for a year or so. They might give you more distance, but it gets complicated. Start with a one handed rod and a sinking line Type 3. Line weight 6-8. Go heavier for the bigger flies. You will need a stripping basket... I use one I made from a supermarket shopping basket. Do the research... Google is your friend.

Words of wisdom right there.  

Also consider uplining your line weight.  It'll help with the casting of heavy flies.

tons of wisdom and experience "40 perch in 2 hours"  :theman:

all of the comments got me thinking now to go to the 1 handed rod...was thinking the redington vice 10', 4-piece, 7wt.  Plus it's 75 bucks cheaper at $174.95 with the $25 bucks rebate.  I plan on also going to my local fly shop, its called Central Coast Fly Fishing in Carmel.  Heard the owner Geoff is a super nice guy and very knowledgeable fly fisherman.

hey all, thanks for all the advice and tips from everyone.  i feel like im going in the right direction for my first fly rod and reel setup!

hey 831--if you're in the Carmel area, you've got some damn good fishing right there. I'm jealous!

I think 7w is a good size for this area, and 10' is a nice length--I would buy that stick.