Recruitkim

NYC Fishing

Rate this topic

138 posts in this topic

Wow. Pics above are inspiring.

Back on the river tonight. Didn't go out last night.

Will try using 6oz and move down half a block.

tight lines

On 4/24/2018 at 9:12 PM, imdannoir said:

just got back from another 7-9pm. skunk on bunker chunks.

I am having quite an issue getting stuck on bottom. I have used 4-5oz weights and within either 10 seconds of a cast, or 5 minutes, I am losing a rig. What can be done to lessen the loss of tackle? Also tried to use bucktails and jigs but the current was too fast for a logical retrieve. 

I look forward to any tips you all may have! tight lines.

fishing the east river is very tough..when that water is ripping it doesn't care if you throw 10oz its still going to move it. honestly you have the right idea with the bucktail. cast up current and let the bucktail glide its way down current. turn the reel handle just enough to remain in contact with the jig, if you feel it hit bottom pop your rod tip up and repeat the process. you can do the same technique with a weighted swim shads. if the fish are there you'll definitely hook up. bass are opportunistic feeders and they'll sit and wait behind structure and as prey comes by they'll attack.

if you're throwing bait find a spot where the rip is slower and use a bank or bell style sinker. pyramid sinkers will snag up a lot easier around structure bc they are made to dig into bottom

On 4/24/2018 at 9:12 PM, imdannoir said:

just got back from another 7-9pm. skunk on bunker chunks.

I am having quite an issue getting stuck on bottom. I have used 4-5oz weights and within either 10 seconds of a cast, or 5 minutes, I am losing a rig. What can be done to lessen the loss of tackle? Also tried to use bucktails and jigs but the current was too fast for a logical retrieve. 

I look forward to any tips you all may have! tight lines.

If the waters moving that fast that you think bucktails are not going to work, baits probably not going to work either. You gotta think a striper has to expend a lot of energy just to stay put in really fast water. Even if they’re there, they’ll prob pass on by for an easier meal. They’re opportunistic feeders. You just got to get to know the area better. My part of the river (hellgate/Randall’s) took me a while to get used to. The currents vary so much from tide to tide. You can’t even depend on like x amount of hours after low or high will be good consistently because depending on how high the high tide was the water moves in from the sound different.  There’s a lot of water from the sound and Harlem river running through a narrow area. When you catch one, note where you were in the tide cycle, how the water was moving, and other conditions. After a few fish you may start noticing  pattern.  I’ll give you the advice someone gave me. Buy a bunch of unpainted lead heads in various sizes ( Dan the tin man sells them very affordable in the commercial BST) and use them as is or paint them your self and use them with soft plastics. Use different sizes to see what size holds bottom the best without snagging you every time. And it can be different every day. Sometimes the waters glass and a 1oz will work. Sometimes I gotta use a two. You’ll save money this way instead of buying all sorts of tackle and losing it. I lost a lot of different lures I wanted to try because I read something on here but really wasn’t suited for the conditions. And honestly I think that’s the best bet for anyone in the river right now. That and bucktails with a trailer but bucktails are slightly more expensive and if your donating a lot of them to the bottom why bother. Just keep at it, try some different spots and you’ll hook up eventually.

Thanks everyone. The tips are extremely helpful.

was out 7:30-10:30 last night. Half the time the river was a lake, other half ripping. Lost only one rig (5oz). Got a hit on bunker chunk and somehow didn’t lose a 4oz in the ripping current.

good to see a hit :)

out again sunday

The old saying is that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water.

You need to find a big eddy where the current slows and even reverses in a big circle.

Fish the seams where that happens.

Forget the bait and sinkers.

Use jig heads with plastic trailers in bright colors, heavy enough that you can feel them hit bottom with a thump. Usually 1oz will do. Buy cheap and paint them with left over house paint or don't paint them at all.... they won't last long enough to get sentimental about.

Cast up current and hop them along the bottom back to you.

Be a line watcher. Anticipate the jig hitting bottom, you can see your line change/twitch/bow just before you feel the thump.

Keep the rod tip low and lift when you hit the bottom, DO NOT let the jig lie there.... it will get stuck.

Hope that helps.

:)

On 4/30/2018 at 11:18 PM, Ebbtide231 said:

The old saying is that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water.

You need to find a big eddy where the current slows and even reverses in a big circle.

Fish the seams where that happens.

Forget the bait and sinkers.

Use jig heads with plastic trailers in bright colors, heavy enough that you can feel them hit bottom with a thump. Usually 1oz will do. Buy cheap and paint them with left over house paint or don't paint them at all.... they won't last long enough to get sentimental about.

Cast up current and hop them along the bottom back to you.

Be a line watcher. Anticipate the jig hitting bottom, you can see your line change/twitch/bow just before you feel the thump.

Keep the rod tip low and lift when you hit the bottom, DO NOT let the jig lie there.... it will get stuck.

Hope that helps.

:)

Will be grabbing my lure rod from NJ this weekend (hopefully). Stocked up at Capitol for jigs & plastics.

Fished bunker 2 hours yesterday and 2 today.

Had a fish on today! Missed him but it was very exciting. Will get clams on next week.

Capitol guys said east river is only producing shorts. Any reports?

Been loving reading this post. I live on U.E.S from mid 80s till Sept of 92 when i moved to jersey shore. I used to fish 1 to 2 oz yellow buck tails with pork rind from 63 st north to the staircase at 79 or so st. Only at night, needed a long net to scoop fish over rail. 15-20 fish a night was normal. Even had one fish break a rod in the butt, between fish and current it was to much for rod. Glad to see capital still in business. I used to also fish bait up at 96st. There was a bait shop at, I think 116st and 2nd ave. Have no idea if still in business. Used to occasional go over to roosevelt island at the north end and toss a fly rod. was'nt much up that way in 1990, Im sure its much different now.  Plenty of other spots, battery park city, governs island, park on upper west side and inwood hill park. Roodmans neck in the Bronx, under whitestone bridge, was a hoot being on subway with a fishing pole, lot of cool people would want to talk. Enjoy, there are plenty of fish around, just got to want to make the effort.

Fishing near The Bronx last week medium sized blues and bass were abundant, even picked up some porgy and a sea bass on plugs. One keeper bass came home with me as well.Oct is the new spring in the western sound. If you fish Rodmans Neck -Orchard beach, known to have albies is nearby.

10 hours ago, cheech said:

Fishing near The Bronx last week medium sized blues and bass were abundant, even picked up some porgy and a sea bass on plugs. One keeper bass came home with me as well.Oct is the new spring in the western sound. If you fish Rodmans Neck -Orchard beach, known to have albies is nearby.

Cool thank you for the update...been going out last couple days off bk and Staten Island and Pulled in a few short fluke even though I was going for bass and blues....Water is still at 70 as of this afternoon, hopefully it cools of soon