Recruitkim

NYC Fishing

Rate this topic

138 posts in this topic

Hey all, picking up my gear from NJ Wednesday evening and will be on the water Thursday taken the weather is alright.

a couple of question:

i will be fishing around 80th st, east river, 2 rods, 1 dead stick, the other, bucktailing.

 

Where are the closest locations to buy bunker / clams? 

 

Should i anticipate having to use a pier net/ gaff?

 

what is the typical weight to hold bottom in the east river?

 

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, imdannoir said:

Hey all, picking up my gear from NJ Wednesday evening and will be on the water Thursday taken the weather is alright.

a couple of question:

i will be fishing around 80th st, east river, 2 rods, 1 dead stick, the other, bucktailing.

 

Where are the closest locations to buy bunker / clams? 

 

Should i anticipate having to use a pier net/ gaff?

 

what is the typical weight to hold bottom in the east river?

 

thanks!

Snag you own Bunker and being in Manhattan purchase the clams in the supermarket frozen... I always net my fish because you are not hurting them and it becomes a humane release....Most of the time I fish the Brooklyn side of the East River and use a 4 ounce pyramid sinker to hold bottom...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Snag you own Bunker and being in Manhattan purchase the clams in the supermarket frozen... I always net my fish because you are not hurting them and it becomes a humane release....Most of the time I fish the Brooklyn side of the East River and use a 4 ounce pyramid sinker to hold bottom...

Thank you! Have you been out this week? Anything to report? I'm getting the fever :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, imdannoir said:

Thank you! Have you been out this week? Anything to report? I'm getting the fever :)

Just came back from fishing in Jamaica Bay... Snagged a couple of Bunkers. One I cut up for dead sticking and the other I live lined.  The one that I live lined I ended off releasing it after about an hour... Had a great morning of fishing but didn't catch anything.... Good luck fishing, Sy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass have been in the Hudson just N of NYC for about two weeks. They are pristine marine fish returning to their native FW for spawning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danda74 said:

You guys all eat the fish you catch in the waters around NYC?  No concern for pollution or whatever?  Genuinely asking

These are migratory fish - doesn't matter where you catch them, at some point they've spent time in polluted waters.  So there's a concern, regardless of where you catch them.

 

As for how big a concern - another reason to practice (mostly) catch and release is because of PCB buildup in striped bass.  There are signs posted all over NYC warning not to eat fish from these waters more than once a week, and never if you're high risk (elderly/child/pregnant/compromised immune system).  Some will tell you those warnings are overblown or BS, but there was enough industrial activity in these waters back in the day to have deposited several lifetimes of pollutants, and you're getting some in every bite.  Best bet is to not overdo it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It cracks me up when people claim they only eat fish caught on li because of the pollution. They don't realize the fish swim through nyc first.

On another note, I was flounder fishing yesterday and the bunker were eating my worms left and right. There is a ton of them but nothing on them yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Would you eat a steak recently coated with gasoline? Also, there are resident fish mixed in with local fish. Just be careful so you can be around as long as possible to keep catching.

PS There are eat advisories on striped bass on the entire coast most likely the frequency varies from location to location.

Edited by Sheisty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

Bunker don't eat worms, they may of been around and was hitting your line while swimming by..

That's what I thought but I actually reeled in about 5 of them with the hook in their mouths. One swallowed a 2 oz sinker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

These are migratory fish - doesn't matter where you catch them, at some point they've spent time in polluted waters.  So there's a concern, regardless of where you catch them.

 

As for how big a concern - another reason to practice (mostly) catch and release is because of PCB buildup in striped bass.  There are signs posted all over NYC warning not to eat fish from these waters more than once a week, and never if you're high risk (elderly/child/pregnant/compromised immune system).  Some will tell you those warnings are overblown or BS, but there was enough industrial activity in these waters back in the day to have deposited several lifetimes of pollutants, and you're getting some in every bite.  Best bet is to not overdo it.

Gotcha, thanks for the great reply.  I'm more curious about the "local" resident fish (non-migratory) - like BSB, tog, scup, whatever.  I get that they migrate "offshore" into deeper waters in winter but I'm assuming they must stay relatively local.  I don't eat striper no matter where I catch em cause to me they taste like garbage anyways.. but to each his own.  ANyways just food for thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, i07nyc said:

That's what I thought but I actually reeled in about 5 of them with the hook in their mouths. One swallowed a 2 oz sinker.

bunker....as in menhaden?  you sure? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 7:49 AM, imdannoir said:

Hey all, picking up my gear from NJ Wednesday evening and will be on the water Thursday taken the weather is alright.

a couple of question:

i will be fishing around 80th st, east river, 2 rods, 1 dead stick, the other, bucktailing.

 

Where are the closest locations to buy bunker / clams? 

 

Should i anticipate having to use a pier net/ gaff?

 

what is the typical weight to hold bottom in the east river?

 

thanks!

I’ve never seen bunker thick enough to snag in my part of the river but I’m pretty sure capitol city fishing on 36th st has bait. Like someone else said you can also just go to the store and buy fresh or frozen clams or squid. 4oz sinker should do depending upon what the currents like in the area. In my part of the river deadsticking bait isn’t even worth it between the current and all he **** on the bottom of the river. It’s a miracle if you don’t snag. But I know other parts of the river aren’t as bad and is def possible. I enjoy bucktailing and throwing SPs and whatnot more anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.