Recruitkim

NYC Fishing

Rate this topic

177 posts in this topic

The Hudson was rocking in late winter, but they went north and now nada. Albany water temp is 59 today, so the spawn(60-65) is taking place about now.

You can try artificials as the bass race south to the marine district, or target the near shore channel catfish and carp. Good luck!

14 hours ago, TimeAndTide said:

Might have the chance to fish the Hudson from the NYC side via Riverside Park.

Wanted to see if those in this thread are still seeing action, and if the Hudson from shore can be an artificial fishery or do we need to throw bait?

I did alot of fishing in the hudson when I lived in hoboken.  Its across from where you're talking about but the fishing should be the same.  If you want to throw artificial focus on rocky points and piers.  Even better wait till nighttime and fish small shads in the shadowlines of the piers.  As long as there is current running through them the fish should be in the shadowline on the up current side.  Most of the time you can even sight fish them as you see them cruising looking to pick off spearing/shrimp/whatever they can fit in their mouths.  Almost everyone you see fishing the hudson is gonna be throwing bait, and theyll catch some giant fish too, but that doesnt mean you cant catch on jigs/plugs.  I always did much better in the fall, picks up in september, and is usually incredible fishing oct/nov.  Hope this helps.

Edited by bbfish

1 min ago, TimeAndTide said:

It does help, thank you!  I will throw plugs and bucktails.  My arsenal of bucktails top out at 3 oz. so will I need heavier gear for the currents in the Hudson? 

The current on the shoreline in the hudson generally isnt all that strong, at least on the NJ side, so heavy bucktails arent needed that much.  I usually fished with 3/8-1 oz but even using 1 oz was rare.

there are typically a ridiculous number of snags along the hudson and e river where i ever fish.  even with a good current i tend to keep to weighted soft plastics over bucktails so i can use a smaller hook and keep the hook upwards.  my catch per cast went way up.

if you don’t fish a lot of rivers (?) i’d also add to try and find a good eddy, where the eddy returns to meet the current - those tend to be the most productive spots.

Went fishing yesterday in Jamaica Bay in one of it's inlets and caught my limit of Fluke and Blues in about two hours..  Caught them all on an old reliable...  Caught them on a two ounce diamond jig that had a single barbless hook..  

Any action around NYC yet? Specifically wondering about the east river. In the past, fall didn’t really heat up for me in Astoria until mid October but there’s some fish to be had earlier. I’m going to start getting out at night in the next week or two. 

On 9/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, KG33 said:

Any action around NYC yet? Specifically wondering about the east river. In the past, fall didn’t really heat up for me in Astoria until mid October but there’s some fish to be had earlier. I’m going to start getting out at night in the next week or two. 

Had a few in Jamaica Bay last week.  Nothing doing this week though.