Recruitkim

NYC Fishing

130 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't really noticed a specific NYC fishing oriented thread. It seems like everything here revolves around the action in Long Island, which is cool and all. But, growing up and having to learn most everything myself, it was a pain in the ass trying to find places to fish. 

Would be great if we had a section here where we could focus mainly on areas within NYC (without spot burning of course). Coney Island, Jamaica Bay, and Canarsie Pier to name a few. 

Attached are a few pictures of fish caught to keep this thread interesting. 

post-68181-0-11872900-1495646710.jpg

post-68181-0-31452300-1495646857.jpg

(Damn proud of my dogfish)

Edited by Recruitkim

Its better that there is no specific thread. We'd have spot burn galore. Get out there and talk to guys. They'll let you in on secrets. There are spots in the city that hold fish that you would not even think about like the creeks off the east river in Brooklyn and queens. (Hope I'm not being too specific)

I fish NYC all the time, plenty of good spots, you just have to put up with the urbaness of it.

Standing out in Breezy Point, if you didn't know better you'd think you were a hundred miles from NYC.

Plenty of good spots, the problem in the city is access and tackle.  Luckily, the internet can supply you with everything but bait, for which there are the Chinese supermarkets :-)

Just found that spot this year. Was really suprised it held fish. Nice to see your fish does not have 3 eyes.

The only thing that is bad fishing NYC water's is that these areas are RAT INFESTED....They are as big as cats...I most of the time fish in the East River on the Brooklyn side. These rats will try to steel your bait and they are not scared of people.. They come out mostly at night to scavenge food...  

The only thing that is bad fishing NYC water's is that these areas are RAT INFESTED....They are as big as cats...I most of the time fish in the East River on the Brooklyn side. These rats will try to steel your bait and they are not scared of people.. They come out mostly at night to scavenge food...  

Fishing those spots at night that you do

rats stealing bait would be a last thing that I worry about.

I would worry about those rats that would steal your valet.

Fishing those spots at night that you do

rats stealing bait would be a last thing that I worry about.

I would worry about those rats that would steal your valet.

Just living in NYC you always have to be on your toes and always watching your back....

Jesus Ironworker, I hope you're not eating those...  I mean, I know we joke a lot about water quality and cleanliness in different parts of the city, but if you wanted to find the absolute worst section of water to focus on, you found it.

Jesus Ironworker, I hope you're not eating those...  I mean, I know we joke a lot about water quality and cleanliness in different parts of the city, but if you wanted to find the absolute worst section of water to focus on, you found it.

fun area to fish but when i told people i was fishing there they gave me quite the look. i do c and r only there. supposedly there is a 25 ft layer on the bottom that is pretty much oil spill the consistency of mayonnaise. yummy.

fun area to fish but when i told people i was fishing there they gave me quite the look. i do c and r only there. supposedly there is a 25 ft layer on the bottom that is pretty much oil spill the consistency of mayonnaise. yummy.

Heavy metals on the bottom of these canals creating fish that live in that environment to be carcinogenic, cancer causing....  

The good news is that the water quality in both Newton Creek and the Gowanus Canal has been improving.  The bad news?  That Superfund designation isn't going away any time soon.  Even with ongoing cleanup, just the fact that the water treatment plants can't keep up with population growth in the city and increasing rainfall amounts just means that every step forward will be accompanied by a step backwards when those plants overrun.