Rod and Reel for Party Boat Suggestions

Rate this topic

Kooky

I have a friend who wants to buy her husband a rod and reel, they mostly go out on party boats for flounder and bottom fish.  It is not a style of fishing i do often so i can't make any recommendations.  This would be a somewhat beginner set up so not looking for high end recommendations.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

Maybe a Shimano Triton Star Drag with an ugly stick?

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Agreed. Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Elite sounds nice!

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

They could always go with a tiger stick and a penn reel to bring down the price. Most of the boats rent heavy rods with something like a penn senitor staying lighter than that is nice.

I bought the Penn Warfare levelwind which is nice for an inexpensive reel.

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

A levelwind is nice to have on a party boat.  I use a Penn GTi 330 with 50# mono or 320 with 65# braid.  I also like a solid rod for party boat activities - not necessarily heavy but something sturdy for when you hook the bottom.  A 7' one piece Penn Slammer rod is also nice for jigging, although it isn't solid.

How do you like your 209?

I haven't had any issues with it, I recently added (40lb) braid to it. The rod itself might be a bit light since I read the following from the Frances Fleet:

Tackle:  4-8 oz. sinkers, 5/0 hooks,
30-50 lb. test mono line
Bait:  Squid and spearing (provided)

I also saw that Penn 209's are available at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Level-Wind-209M-Reel/14649592