aquafreak

Shipping Rods

31 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2017 at 8:05 AM, shark lobster said:

Usps has these triangler boxes you can tape them together to get the length you need i think there 40 " each

Cheap way to go

On 5/22/2017 at 9:06 AM, sea jay said:

I only use these boxes to ship rods, The boxes are free and measure 6" x 6" x 3" x 40" long and you can cut them down to make them narrower + cheaper to mail.

Sea Jay:

How well was the rod protected in this box?  How did you prevent the box from collapsing smaller, and avoiding breakage to the rods?

Just got an estimate to ship an 8'6" from LI to Texas - ~$150 from USPS, FedEx & UPS.

Weight was not the issue, it is girth, length, etc., so using 2" vacuum tube or the triangle boxes does not seem to matter.

Also checked a few trucking/freight companies & they were substantially more !!!

Maybe a hot line on SOL for those driving anyway ???

Not sure how you got away with a length of 108" - anything over 96" entails a large surcharge !!!

Not what I see & after several calls w/UPS, I always got a $80 surcharge.

PS: No date per yr shipment +++ gas prices just went up radically !!!

Same, I recent shipped a 9fter through ups as well total was about $46, 20 of it was oversize handling fee. I've always had better luck getting the pricing in person. 

Jay in the Bay, I cut the box down so the rod (wrapped in bubble wrap) just barely fits in the box. Kind of risky, but I haven' had any problems yet.

Triangular box imo is not suitable for shipping rods unless you want extra pieces when it arrives.  Joint two box at the middle is even worst since that's the weakest point and most likely to bend.  Rods sold on amazon use triangular box to ship, just check out all the 1 star reviews.  Don't know if they made improvement yet. Shipping weight mean nothing when shipping rods. So grab the heaviest, sturdiest pvc pike you can get your hands on and use it to ship.  "Write do not convey" in big bold letter on several location on the tube just in case one knuckle head try to test out the tube vs conveyor belt theory.

LOL I bought a cheap 3 section 15' surf Rod from Amazon I got free shipping for prime  to my PO Box. I was shocked when I picked it up. It was in a clear  plastic bag and there was no damage. Probably because postal employees could see it was a fishing pole and treated it better.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:29 AM, hobobob said:

Triangular box imo is not suitable for shipping rods unless you want extra pieces when it arrives.  Joint two box at the middle is even worst since that's the weakest point and most likely to bend.  Rods sold on amazon use triangular box to ship, just check out all the 1 star reviews.  Don't know if they made improvement yet. Shipping weight mean nothing when shipping rods. So grab the heaviest, sturdiest pvc pike you can get your hands on and use it to ship.  "Write do not convey" in big bold letter on several location on the tube just in case one knuckle head try to test out the tube vs conveyor belt theory.

True story! I used to ship my custom rods via USPS in heavy duty PVC pipes. Sent 4 rods that I made to a good friend. All of them arrived in 2 pieces.

Ship in a triangular cardboard box if you do not care about the rod. When my friend sent me pics, I almost cried...50 hours of my life went into those rods!

I only use UPS now and fully insure them. They can ship up to 9' PVC for about $50-$60 bucks. Well worth it when they are custom rods.