aquafreak

Shipping Rods

31 posts in this topic

I need to ship 2 rods to Florida. The longest section of one is 7 ft. What do I ship them in and with who ? Thanks

Carpet tubes work great. I have shipped rods through bought UPS and USPS. There will be an extra charge because of the length. Where are you located? I have tubes and end caps that I could give you.

Carpet tubes work great. I have shipped rods through bought UPS and USPS. There will be an extra charge because of the length. Where are you located? I have tubes and end caps that I could give you.

Live in Brooklyn. 

Ship them in 4in Schedule 30 triplewall drainage pipe.

I have found USPS to be the best priced, but UPS is also recommended.   

I like the carpet tubes because the are free. I also like ups on rods better just has seemed cheaper for me but you can't go wrong with either. I would stay away from fed ex they will be more expensive and I see a lot of damage from them on my receiving dock. Also you save money from either if you pay and print from home and just drop it off at Thier locations.

whether you use carpet tubes or drain pipe make sure you wrap rod well......make sure it fits snug in tubing.

a lot of damage can occur in transit if rod bangs around.

btw I have found usps to be cheaper and just as reliable as ups

I just shipped 3, 7ft rods in a telescope box coast to coast via UPS cost $20 and some change.

Live in Brooklyn.

I live towards the east end of the island. A bit to far. If you decide to go with carpet tubes I will send you the end caps. Just send me your address

Sold a fly rod, shipped it USPS. Had insurance, they lost it. A total nightmare to get my money back. So bad that I almost gave up. I ship with UPS now. Jus my 2 cents.

I get a lot of rod blanks shipped to me. Drain pipe via USPS has been the safest, fastest and the most reliable in almost every case. I did have 2 in about 100 that were damaged and they paid the insurance each time when I provided proof. It did take about 2 weeks though. I'm in Maryland and I get stuff from Utmost Enterprises on the coast of Washington state in 2-3 days.

Usps has these triangler boxes you can tape them together to get the length you need i think there 40 " each

Cheap way to go

I only use these boxes to ship rods, The boxes are free and measure 6" x 6" x 3" x 40" long and you can cut them down to make them narrower + cheaper to mail.