M4rv

I keep breaking rods. What am I doing wrong?st

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

i have same exact rod but its been a dream for me. I typically dont store as well as i should most of the time it resting on top of other rods, when i transport its either on a rod rack of resting against the back seat of my van,

I would say try staying with in the sweet spot of lure range,

when casting avoid doing any sort of pendulum cast, as well as hold the the final position of your cast ( Ex: tip of rod facing the casting direction) till all the line that is being pulled by your cast leaves the reel than close your bail and retrieve. i feel this not only helps relieving strain on the rod but also improves casting distance.

if your fishing off jetties add a longer leader section. Ive seen alot of dudes try and hoist thier catch using only the rod as a leveraging tool and in the process weakening the blank. its better to just have a long leader and use arm muscle to drag a fish up 

also if your using a surf belt ad a hanging ring to hold the rod during lure changes and unhooking fish there by reducing the amount of time the rod spends against the ground , Rocks, Ect.

just my two cents

See ZA's post. Blanks loaded properly are pretty difficult to break. Improperly loaded, and they can be really easy to break. I tested my HErcules jigging blanks with dead lifting 65#'s with a lock switch on teh reel so no drag slipped. No problem. Went  into production, and  they were breaking - often times what was reported as with not much pressure.

Take a thin walled graphite rod andforce it to  bend in a wayit wasn't designed to handle and it's not too hard to see why the same person is breaking the same style of rods. Either he learns how to properly cast, or move to a rod that has glass or has thicker walls and a more moderate action that doesnt'  put the stress on teh thinner part of the blank. imo without knowing who he is or what  he does with the rods

To me, the facts are in Billy's post. If the rod isn't breaking consistently for others, it has to be technique. I'd try a glass stick or even an Ugly Stik to confirm it. The storing and travel theory is a long shot, possible, but not a few times unless somethings really obvious like it is being damaged by something heavy or sharp.

And maybe the fellers a gorilla with a stick, I've only broken 2 rods in 40 years on a cast, this guy may have the arm of Nolan Ryan. 

Time to try an Ugly stick.

You might be --high sticking--- with your graphite rods causing the tips to break.

just guessing

What this is this high sticking please? Thanks!

What this is this high sticking please? Thanks!

High sticking is when a rod is lifted vertically with a load on it putting to much force on the tip.

Happens to fast action rods when you overpowering them, especially with light lures, kinetic energy is not transferred into it, and rod blank absorbing much of it. Same like shooting compound bow without arrow sometime causing bow to explode. 

Last night I had a 9' Tica tc3 1/2-3 Oz explode on me while I was casting a 1.5 Oz bucktail.

This brings me to at least 4 rods that I have broken during a cast in about a year. This is the 2nd time that rod broke. The other rod that I've broken twice was a 9' tfo. Once while casting a 2 Oz bucktail and once while casting a 2.25 Oz gibbs Danny.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything like this. It's honestly getting ridiculous. It's almost becoming routine to me when a rod breaks.

I also want to say that the tica and tfo rods are excellent rods and I've always gotten great customer service from both companies. I'm not trying to put them on blast. I just wanted everyone to know it's not Walmart specials I'm breaking.

from reading what you described it must be the way you cast.

have you broken other rods before these four?

snap casting will break a rod kinda easy,a cast should be smooth, force can be added but,in a smooth manner.

if one starts the cast unloaded and then the rod becomes loaded quickly it can break.

H&H

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are you snap casting? That puts a lot of pressure very quickly on the top half of the rod.

My money is on snap casting.  Surf rods can't be snap cast like a light freshwater rod.

Knew a very experienced angler who started breaking rods with the newer graphite and tapers.  He couldn't figure it out... thought the rods were junk.  I watched him cast 5 times and I knew what it was.  He changed his technique and rods stopped breaking.

Hold the rod horizontally behind you and use a catapulting action... gives far more distance than a snap cast and uses the rod the way it was designed to be cast.  You get your entire body into the cast instead of just the arms.

Edited by WoodyCT