I keep breaking rods. What am I doing wrong?st

Rate this topic

M4rv

Last night I had a 9' Tica tc3 1/2-3 Oz explode on me while I was casting a 1.5 Oz bucktail.

This brings me to at least 4 rods that I have broken during a cast in about a year. This is the 2nd time that rod broke. The other rod that I've broken twice was a 9' tfo. Once while casting a 2 Oz bucktail and once while casting a 2.25 Oz gibbs Danny.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything like this. It's honestly getting ridiculous. It's almost becoming routine to me when a rod breaks.

I also want to say that the tica and tfo rods are excellent rods and I've always gotten great customer service from both companies. I'm not trying to put them on blast. I just wanted everyone to know it's not Walmart specials I'm breaking.

Edited by M4rv

How are you transporting them?

Broken down in the trunk of my grand cherokee leaning against the back seat.

Time to try an Ugly stick.

You might be --high sticking--- with your graphite rods causing the tips to break.

just guessing

Funny, on the way out last night I told my buddy I was probably just gonna get a 10' ugly stick.

I am thinking that there is some damage happening to the rods during transport....

What part of the rod are they breaking? That might give a little more insight on the problem?

Always the top half but never really the tip

Tica rods always break on me. Ive moved on to differents rods, Tsunami, St Croix. It might just be tica itself. not saying they are a terrible company but to see another tica rod breaking on cast makes me think...

Id think that if I hadn't had the tfo break twice on me.

definitely odd.

are you laying them on the rocks a lot while you switch out plugs, unhook fish etc...?

I lay them down when unhooking fish but I do make sure to do it gently. I understand how important cosmetics are if I ever want to resell my vs.

I have to think the problem is in my cast. I was fishing for like 3 or 4 hours when this happened and hadn't caught a fish since first arriving.

I lay them down when unhooking fish but I do make sure to do it gently. I understand how important cosmetics are if I ever want to resell my vs.

I have to think the problem is in my cast. I was fishing for like 3 or 4 hours when this happened and hadn't caught a fish since first arriving.

Are you snap casting? That puts a lot of pressure very quickly on the top half of the rod.

you have to remember, with todays hi-tech materials (which I think are BS), RODS are lighter, and some times thinner wall, plus the fact, many of these hi-tech rod companies are made in CHINA, Quality control in China, in my opinion isn't that good, if you can fine a older rods, say J.Kennedy-Fisher, All-Star, which were made in USA, TRY Lami, FSC, United Composites, all American made

A beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world thats real ; A jetty is a place where a man feels, he must have a bucket full of eels.