Slayah

BOSTON HARBOR REPORT 2017

Rate this topic

178 posts in this topic

Fished today from about 12-5pm. Found pogie schools that finally had some bigger fish pushing them. Managed several bass between 15-25lbs. Lots of pogies, not a whole lot of fish on them, but there were some. No blues only bass

3 hours ago, StriperKing89 said:

Fished today from about 12-5pm. Found pogie schools that finally had some bigger fish pushing them. Managed several bass between 15-25lbs. Lots of pogies, not a whole lot of fish on them, but there were some. No blues only bass

Fished earlier in morning and found some bigger fish on the pogies-- upwards of 40", but no crazy numbers. Really seemed to slow down around 9am when the boat traffic picked up. 

Edited by brianhfree

Got on pogies this afternoon. Managed to find some fish working one of the schools. I had two pogies swimming on circle hooks and had fish hit both at the same time. I was able to work both rods and land each fish. Turned out to be a 41" and 37". Revived and released both fish!

E485C16C-3A14-4FF0-9E8B-2DE9F46C5743.thumb.JPG.4dfb21736470088810fa6cf7761edf1d.JPG

Edited by StriperKing89

1 hour ago, StriperKing89 said:

Got on pogies this afternoon. Managed to find some fish working one of the schools. I had two pogies swimming on circle hooks and had fish hit both at the same time. I was able to work both rods and land each fish. Turned out to be a 41" and 37". Revived and released both fish!

well done!! what was the strategy? did you bring them in one at a time, or did you go back and forth?

5 minutes ago, brianhfree said:

well done!! what was the strategy? did you bring them in one at a time, or did you go back and forth?

Went back and forth. Reeled one in about half way. Other was stripping drag, so I put first into rod holder and grabbed second. Was a bit of a dance back and forth. Luckily they were on opposite sides of the boat and the fish stayed away from each other. Muscled the second one in a little in order to get a quick release on both!

Caught my first Striped bass of 2017 fishing from shore on light tackle.A little schoolie blitz action on Monday morning all to myself. Got the monkey off my back. Sadly, I didnt fish all summer but looking forward to fall run. I was fishing from shore in Quincy Bay. 

Got out this evening and headed to the pogies again. Pretty much same deal as the last week. Had lots of runs without hook ups from presumably smaller fish. Some bigger ones mixed in. Caught a 35" bass that looked like it had been eating very well. It pushed 20lbs on the boga. Hearing of some big blues being caught in the area, but not in great numbers yet

IMG_4658.PNG.bc2f76c0584d188552792ab482e44fc9.PNGIMG_4654.JPG.cbf57da55be8c06f76309ea34669a3b9.JPG

Was out again this morning. Harbor has been overtaken by schoolies feeding on peanut bunker. Found some full size pogies but didn't get any bigger fish. The fog didn't help either. Amazing amount of surface action everywhere 

The surface action has been stellar early everyday. We caught as many school fish as you care to catch and those 14-20 inch bass are everywhere. Went out and got a pair of cod for the two man limit and caught a small keeper out on the ledges while dropping a Ava and sluggo combo down to the brown bombers. Mackerel still out there heavy as well. I have a love hate relationship with this time of year. Fishing is usually fast and furious but knowing it is gonna end soon gets me down. Deer season is almost upon us and found this critter near where I was hanging a stand . Red eyed devil wasn't too happy when I picked him up. 

IMG_1722.JPG

Edited by giggyfish

Fished Saturday early in pea soup, loaded up on Mac's then hit the fog horn.  I was with a couple of buddies from work who were not very experienced.  They hooked up 6-7 times, but in experience cost them as they ripped the circle hook out of the fishes mouth.  The 8th fish we hooked I took the rod to show them the right tech.  Landed a small fish, 28 inch, but they got the jist of what to do.  Landed a few more small fish, a lot of people and kayaks on the spot and I wanted bigger fish.  We left to get away from the crowd and chase size.  Found some bigger fish, but again lack of knowledge hurt the catch rate.  The highlight, I was hooked into what felt like a good size fish, a couple of good runs, just as I was able to get it to turn and started bringing it to the boat it made a hard run.  The line went dead.  I reeled in the head of  what looked like a decent fish.  Bitten off just behind the gill plate.  Either a seal or a shark took what I think was a 35+ inch fish. 

What is the storm going to do for the weekend?  fish going to run away from the pressure and slow things down?  will the run into the protected waters in the harbors?  or head deep?