Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalmouthFisher

Graphite USA rods

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Not a lot of talk about these rods on this forum. I love their rods, and think they're better than any other rods out there. These things look like toothpicks, but believe me, they are extremely strong and durable. I've never used or seen their surf or fly rods, but if they are as good as the shorter saltwater stuff i'm familiar with from them, then some of you should definitely check them out.

Just thought i'd hook you guys up with an alternative to the lamis, loomis, and st.croix rods that most seem to use. I used to be a st.croix guy, but now i'm in the process of converting.

Falmouth - please tell me what blanksrods you have, what you use them for, and anything else. I'm looking to get one for Blackfishing, I have an idea of which one I want - but I really want to pull on one first.

All I've heard from the West Coast is they are the BEST.

GUSA has a very good reputation in the rod building world. They are known to be light, powerful and durable. They employ a "Dual Helix" reinforcement that keeps a blank from going out of round under pressure. Their weight to strength ratio (rod marketing speak)is often compared to the Loomis GLX, but a bit more durable.

I personally don't have much exerience with them but have never heard anything but good about them. AS far as surf blanks go, I don't think it's their strong suit, offering only a few models and mostly light 2 piece stuff.

Falmouth - please tell me what blanksrods you have, what you use them for, and anything else.

I have the SW70H blank (rated 20-40lb, mod-fast)wrapped with Aftco Lightweight Roller Guides (these are single footed with graphite frames and titanium rollers that are lighter than ringed guides). I use an accurate boss magnum 870 reel to fish 30# on this rod (300yds 50# powerpro under 150yds 30# mono). The combination is extremely lightweight. The rod is very parabolic. By this I mean that it bends pretty evenly along the entire length of the blank. I'm not real used to rods that flex like this (majority of my rods are fast or extra fast action), but I really like it. I used an aluminum reelseat and gimbal on this rod for aesthetic purposes. I could have gone with graphite which would have kept it even lighter.

My other rod (not yet completed) uses a SW70MonsterMag blank. This is rated for 30-60lb line and looks like a freshwater bass blank. It will be spiral wrapped with fuji HNSG guides for the transition guides and fuji LBSG (single footed SiC guides) as the running guides. I'll use an accurate boss mag. 665 reel to fish 50# line.

Both of these rods are 7ft in length. I built them for offshore fishing for species like yellowfin and shark, but I've used the 30# outfit to toss eels to stripers.

All I've heard from the West Coast is they are the BEST.

Thats where I heard about them and now I'm a believer. Using the small but powerful accurate reels on these rods makes an excellent combination.

These blanks are pricey, but well worth it.

Check out the specs on some of their beefier rods too like the Dragon. The thing is rated 50-100# and has a #10 tip and a 0.628 in. butt. Amazing!!

I only see three blanks on their website that are listed as surf blanks. I don't think the company has done more then dip a toe in the wash, so to speak.

Very true. They do offer a wide range of 8' and 8'6" blanks, but you're right, only 3 10'10" surf blanks.